Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hit 90 Today - Engine was HOT - WTF

Old 04-25-2009, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hit 90 Today - Engine was HOT - WTF

Driving around today in a one year old 4 door rubicon on some fire roads. Some steep hills both incline and decline. The engine was HOT. While I'm not new to cars, I am new to Jeeps and have never experienced an engine making so much heat radiate to the point where the fan would just not stop. Forget it when I put the AC on. The noise coming from the engine sounded like a dead wolf.

Is there that much additional stress on the tranny going off road vs highway? Had to pull over twice to let it cool down.

Any thoughts? This normal with a JK? Any aftermarket products I could buy to cool things down?

Does this happen to ya'll in SoCal where you get seriously hot weather?

Thanks all.

Last edited by liquidrock; 04-25-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

What was the temp gauge pointing to?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What was the temp gauge pointing to?
That's the thing - dead even in the middle This did not happen last summer at all.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidrock
That's the thing - dead even in the middle This did not happen last summer at all.
You can't tell by how hot the engine seems. The gauge will be straight up as long as the engine is not overheated. The fan comes on for the engine at around 215, then will turn off around 195.

I would suggest you install a tranny temp gauge, or get an AeroForce Gauge to plug in.
The AeroForce Gauge will display both engine and tranny temps.
An additional tranny cooler wouldn't hurt, either.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-25-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Freak

As already stated, a tranny cooler will deal with the overheating issues some members have had there.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=tranny+cooler

I've read that one forum member coated his headers with a flat black heat resistant spray called Black Satin and that greatly reduced the under-hood temperatures. For more info, his name is JPop, you could try pm'ing him.

Also, cutting hood louvres (cheap) or the AEV Heat Reduction Hood (expensive) will allow heat to escape.

See https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/cut-hood-installed-vents-39508/

Lastly, I think you can install a lower temp thermometer that activates the fan at a lower temperature.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by cyruspura; 04-25-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Actually, disregard the statement about the low temp thermostat. This thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...emp+thermostat explains some of the problems it brings up.

Everything else should still be effective.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:54 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

...sounded like a dead wolf.
I'd like a sound clip of this !

Were you in 4 high?
Browsed a post not long ago from a guy that had installed a TCooler and heat gauge, he indicated that temps are much higher in 4 high than in 4 low. I'll post the thread if I come across it again.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-25-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
I'd like a sound clip of this !

Were you in 4 high?
Browsed a post not long ago from a guy that had installed a TCooler and heat gauge, he indicated that temps are much higher in 4 high than in 4 low. I'll post the thread if I come across it again.

Was not in 4 Hi. Was in 2 drive the entire time. Next time I'll bring some steaks with me

Thanks for the input everyone - very much appreciated
Old 04-26-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi

Yeah dude it was hot as hell here. I pulled over at Starbucks and could easily burn my hand by touching the hood. I opened the hood and it was hot as hell in there. My steering clunk is coming back cause that heated melted the grease in no time.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Yeah dude it was hot as hell here. I pulled over at Starbucks and could easily burn my hand by touching the hood. I opened the hood and it was hot as hell in there. My steering clunk is coming back cause that heated melted the grease in no time.
Bro we gotta catch up sooner than later. If your not doing anything today, give my cell a call - we can grill and drink beers

Steering clunk? Is that what you call it? I thought my steering column was coming loose. Geeze - so much to learn. Does that mean I have work to do

I examined the air intake much more closely and I'm somewhat amazed how little clearance there is between the hood and intake Think I'm gonna invest in a new hood, air intake, tranny (that word brings me back to my San Francisco days - insert hebejeebes here) cooler, and Griffin radiator. Yet another setback in my suspension upgrade

Last edited by liquidrock; 04-26-2009 at 09:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Hit 90 Today - Engine was HOT - WTF