Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hill assist disable- auto tranny

Old 12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Watercop
Disabled mine ..... MUCH better. Now I know why it wouldn't roll out of the garage in N like all the rest of my vehicles ...jeeps included. Thanks for the insight !!
I thought I was the only one ,,, originaly out there that thought my Jeep did not roll like an average vehicle. Glad to help out

SLIM
Old 12-17-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Chalk up another satisfied customer. Just did this the other night and wanted to say thank you for this...I fell like i'm in control of my vehicle and not the other way around, ahhh to just coast to a stop again...
Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been a fan of the hill assist since most of the wheeling i do is rock crawling stuff. Helps when you are picking your line and don't want to slide back down a hill! Anyway, I guess i should say I WAS a fan of the hill assist until the last time I went wheeling and had an issue with my Jeep. Still not sure if it was just my jeep slipping out of gear (I was in 4-lo) or if I have a larger tranny problem.

I was attempting a rock climb that I've done before but it was a bit wet so we were all sliding a bit. After my initial try, i tried to back up but realized my Jeep was not responding (like I was in neutral). Without getting into everything i tried..the mian point is I couldn't even roll back on my own because the damn hill assist has locked my brakes down!! I had to be pushed back off the rock!

So, not a fan of the hill assist after that little fiasco! Still haven't shut it off yet but I may do so the next time I am hitting a trail similar to that one.

Here is a link to my post looking for answers and it has the video so you can see the hill assis in action as I was literally stuck!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ed-on-me-again
Old 03-25-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

I hate the HSA! I've driven manuals my whole life and I stall this Jeep all the time with the HSA. I live in a very hilly area and I just want it GONE & never to return!!!!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Newbie

DONE!!! Worked like a champ!!!! Thank you!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:53 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy Has anybody been able to do this?Im trying with no luck.

Tried several times w/no luck.
Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Page 369 of the 2010 manual states

If you wish to turn off the HSA system, follow this
procedure:
1. Start with the engine off and vehicle in PARK (automatic
transmission) or NEUTRAL with clutch out
(manual transmission) with wheels straight. Apply parking
brake on manual transmission vehicle.

2. Start the engine.

3. With the engine running, the brake applied, and the
clutch out, rotate the steering wheel a half a turn counterclockwise
from center.

4. Press the “ESC Off” switch four times within twenty
seconds.

5. Rotate the steering wheel a full turn clockwise (half
turn clockwise from center).

6. Cycle ignition switch OFF then ON.

7. If the sequence was completed properly, the “ESC
Malfunction Indicator Light” will blink several times to
confirm HSA is off.

Steps 1-7 must be completed within 90 seconds to turn off
HSA. Repeat steps 1-7 to re-enable HSA functionality.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KPJK
Tried several times w/no luck.
On my 2012... I put the jeep in park. Access the user settings in the cluster display from the steering wheel controls. When it gets to hill start assist or whatever it is called, choose no. Simple.

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the tip!
After reading page after page on this HSA here, I turned my HSA off (in EVIC>personal settings), and what a difference it makes in the feel of the driving characteristics. The Jeep just feels "lighter" and quicker, if that's possible . I'm thinking it's not just in my head since many notice the difference.

I can coast on the hwy now (during traffic)! i originally attributed the "drag" to aerodynamics... but if that was the case, I shouldn't feel that "drag" under 40 in city driving as well. another thought was that the engine was still so new and needed some break in period, but that "drag" didnt go away even after 2500 miles.

I wonder if Jeep (chrysler) knows about this, and will put out a TSB/warranty fix. maybe its a software fix. then again, it is Chrysler...
Old 02-27-2014, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

With the HSA turned off there was a nice bump up in MPGs of about 2 MPG in the City. Looking forward to see how much things improve on the Highway.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JbosRubicon
With the HSA turned off there was a nice bump up in MPGs of about 2 MPG in the City. Looking forward to see how much things improve on the Highway.
Same driving habits and no gain in mpg for me. Been off for about 2 months now

Quick Reply: Hill assist disable- auto tranny