Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hill assist disable- auto tranny

Old 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SLIM_SNOOPY
Just remember if you are on a hill you will roll back now,,,,FYI...lol

Originally Posted by Papa Surf
Ummmm, where is the "ESC off" button? I have a 2010 Unlimited Sport. Is it possible that I don't have this option? My Jeep brakes whenever I let of the brakes and try to coast below 30 mph....and it drives me crazy!
Should be ESP button on your center console.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ummmm, where is the "ESC off" button? I have a 2010 Unlimited Sport. Is it possible that I don't have this option? My Jeep brakes whenever I let of the brakes and try to coast below 30 mph....and it drives me crazy!
The esp button is right next to the red hazard light switch, it shows a 2 s marks and it says esp. You are expierencing what I was going through, disable the Hill assist and it goes back to normal driving. You def have hil assist, I think is is standard equipment. If you do the sequence correctly at the end the yellow indicator in the dash cluster will flash as indicated in the disable instructions. To double check in real life, next time you are on a incline and no cars are in back of you...lol.....Release the brake and see if you roll backwards a little. If you roll that means the hill assist is now de-activated. What is nice about this de-activation is that it is a one time setup, you can always go back by doing the disable instructions again. Not sure if it remembers it if you change the Jeeps' battery.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The esp button is right next to the red hazard light switch, it shows a 2 s marks and it says esp. You are expierencing what I was going through, disable the Hill assist and it goes back to normal driving. You def have hil assist, I think is is standard equipment. If you do the sequence correctly at the end the yellow indicator in the dash cluster will flash as indicated in the disable instructions. To double check in real life, next time you are on a incline and no cars are in back of you...lol.....Release the brake and see if you roll backwards a little. If you roll that means the hill assist is now de-activated. What is nice about this de-activation is that it is a one time setup, you can always go back by doing the disable instructions again. Not sure if it remembers it if you change the Jeeps' battery.
Click image for larger version

Name:	buttons.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	106580

This is what my buttons look like. ESP is the one on the far right? If I kill it will I also be cutting off Traction Control System, Electronic Roll Mitigation, Brake Assist System and Anti-lock Brake System at the same time?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

Attachment 106580

This is what my buttons look like. ESP is the one on the far right? If I kill it will I also be cutting off Traction Control System, Electronic Roll Mitigation, Brake Assist System and Anti-lock Brake System at the same time?
Yes that is the esp button. Before I answer your question, are you reffering your question to the Hill Assist de-activation or the ESP button general usuage? There is a reaon why I am asking....
Old 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yes that is the esp button. Before I answer your question, are you reffering your question to the Hill Assist de-activation or the ESP button general usuage? There is a reaon why I am asking....
What I am getting at is wondering if running the Hill Assist de-activation metioned in this thread will also de-activate the entire ESC system....or is the ESC button only a button in the hill assist de-activation process and the process is not a ESC de-activation? As far as the general usage of this button I would like to know your two bits on how it works, when to use it, etc. Sorry if these are dumb questions and please do not tell my wife that I am asking for directions...
Old 12-02-2010, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

What I am getting at is wondering if running the Hill Assist de-activation metioned in this thread will also de-activate the entire ESC system....or is the ESC button only a button in the hill assist de-activation process and the process is not a ESC de-activation? As far as the general usage of this button I would like to know your two bits on how it works, when to use it, etc. Sorry if these are dumb questions and please do not tell my wife that I am asking for directions...
NO problem, Never a dumb question , the de-activation for the hill assist is different from the ESP dis-able process. If you have the owners manual, i think page 360 something , Not too far from the hill assist disable feature, it will go over how to do the ESP De-activation.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you do not have the manual for your jeep, go to www.jeep.com and go to Owner's Home Page, and look for manuals, you will be able to read and print the actual Owner's Manual
Old 12-02-2010, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

I'll be hitting the trails this weekend to do some rock crawling so I LOVE my hill assist! Living in MA, there are enough hills around here that i never considered turning it off!
Old 12-02-2010, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Arrow

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Glad to hear it worked out for you!

I'll be hitting the trails this weekend to do some rock crawling so I LOVE my hill assist! Living in MA, there are enough hills around here that i never considered turning it off!
Have fun,,,,, Don't abuse her too much...your Jeep has feelings,,lol
Old 12-02-2010, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukie jk
Where's the hill assist for those with a 6 speed? Lol

I always get a good laugh at someone ridin' the clutch on a hill burnin' the hell out of it. Guess I'm mean spirited? Bwahahaha sorry, couldn't help myself. :-)
Actually starting with the 2009 JK's , Hill assist feature is included with the Manual trannys, same with the automatics which got the hill assist in 2010.

Quick Reply: Hill assist disable- auto tranny