Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

High engine rev going up a hill

Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High engine rev going up a hill

Hi all. This weekend, I had this happen to me twice on the hi-way, and am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing. And if I should be worried.
I was driving on the hi-way, and hit the gas to get up a fairly large hill (to maintain speed, as the jeep was slowing down in cruise control). As I got up to speed, and let off the gas, the rpm's just shot up to 5000. This happened to me twice, I hit the brakes, and it did not stop right away.
There were no warning lights, and the jeep seems to drive alright. This only happened on large hills.
Thoughts or advice from anyone?
Old 02-28-2011, 06:41 AM
kik
JK Freak

This probably happened if you have an auto., had it in cruise control and climbing a grade. It's not really what a JK can do well under that circumstance. On a steep grade I would keep the cruise off and the auto out of O/D. I think you confused your electronics believe it or not.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kik
This probably happened if you have an auto., had it in cruise control and climbing a grade. It's not really what a JK can do well under that circumstance. On a steep grade I would keep the cruise off and the auto out of O/D. I think you confused your electronics believe it or not.
Thats what happened the first time, and the second time, it was not in cruise control.
It did not gear down, the revs went real high, and the jeep kept speeding up.
Stupid electronics.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know if this helps but I had a chevy pickup that did something similar. Like it didn't want to shift back up. If I let off gas and then give it a bump it would shift up. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: High engine rev going up a hill