Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hi Lift Points?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by pracz
...Is a hi-lift rendered useless with a stock JK? I was looking to get one to help with potential high-centered situations or as a rudimentary winch (if ever needed). Just trying to be more prepared out on the trails...
It's not as useful, but it can be used. Obviously, the winch feature is still usable--as long as you have a good point to hook up to (proper hooks or shackles are best, but some frame point may be useful if you can get at it without tearing things up once you apply force). With the Lift-Mate, you can still raise the Jeep and stack some rocks under that tire (or remove a smaller rock under the vehicle) to help during a high center situation.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yes, if you wheel someone needs to be carrying a Hi-Lift! Like I described earlier, if you get hung up, the Hi-Lift can be the tool that gets you unhung. As for upgrading the bottle jack, I think they meant to buy a bigger one. Or, I suppose, you could carry a few 2x6 boards to stack under the jack (they also are useful for putting under the tires when mired in mud).
Thank You for the information
Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

ayup, meant to buy a larger bottle jack. Won't go in stock location necessarily, but there is plenty of room under the passenger seats.

Few 2"x6s" will work or 2x12s, whatever left over wood you might have around your home.

A hi-lift works great sticking in the trailer hitch and lifting. Have to watch the tail gate though!

There are accessories for the hi-lift that help make it work with stock bumpers and the like.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default hi lift points

I've used my hi lift with much success on the front and rear bumpers in order to place jack stands under neath the frame. (wheels chocked of course). If you feel under the plastic you will notice that there is metal there (obviously) and I didn't have any issues with the plastic. Just ALWAYS exercise caution when using on of these tools... I've had a few close calls
Old 09-15-2010, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It's not as useful, but it can be used. Obviously, the winch feature is still usable--as long as you have a good point to hook up to (proper hooks or shackles are best, but some frame point may be useful if you can get at it without tearing things up once you apply force). With the Lift-Mate, you can still raise the Jeep and stack some rocks under that tire (or remove a smaller rock under the vehicle) to help during a high center situation.
Thanks, Mark. That makes sense. Because I don't have a winch (and can't afford one for quite some time), I will likely get a Hi-Lift jack and winching/lifting accessories just to be able to get unstuck (if necessary). Not planning any hardcore wheeling, just family stuff. I figure better safe than sorry.

Thanks again!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rapidfire
I was looking into a hi lift, but wasent sure if there are usable points on a stock JK (front and rear bumper) that you can use it on with out messing soemthing up. I know that have the lift mate but that doesent help change a tire
I read this whole thread hoping someone would answer your question (since I also would like to know if there are solid points to raise my stock jeep with a hi-lift jack) but unfortunately only one reply was in the ballpark of answering your actual question. So...... are there usable hi-lift jack point on a stock JK?
I ask b/c last year i foolishly got it high centered in the snow.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

What about the rock rails on the Rubi? Can they be used with a Hi-Lift?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

The Hi-Lift is great for getting out of some tight issues off-road, but for normal tire changing I like the bottle jack. As to why all the people who buy Jeeps purchase a High Lift jack, it looks good. It is another one of those "mods" I am always talking about that everyone has to have to be cool...........................
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepthrill
I read this whole thread hoping someone would answer your question (since I also would like to know if there are solid points to raise my stock jeep with a hi-lift jack) but unfortunately only one reply was in the ballpark of answering your actual question. So...... are there usable hi-lift jack point on a stock JK?
I ask b/c last year i foolishly got it high centered in the snow.
The wheels are a useful lift point.

hYYp://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/lift-mate.html

Pick up a wheel and stack rocks to get yourself un-high-centered. Repeat as necessary.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my high lift jack that i have had not used on my jk but i did on my tj but i wont be without it

Quick Reply: Hi Lift Points?