Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hi Lift Points?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hi Lift Points?

I was looking into a hi lift, but wasent sure if there are usable points on a stock JK (front and rear bumper) that you can use it on with out messing soemthing up. I know that have the lift mate but that doesent help change a tire
Old 09-13-2010, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

NO the entire bumper where you could place the jack is plastic.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

figured lol
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapidfire
... I know that have the lift mate but that doesent help change a tire
Some folks would disagree with me, but I don't consider the Hi-Lift a good option for changing a tire. Consider the scenario where you're wheeling and your swaybar is disconnected (assuming a non-Rubi) and you split open a tire on some rocks. Your Jeep is all cockeyed and you've got to put a new tire on. You really need a way to lift the Jeep by the axle that the busted tire is on. If you try to use a Hi-Lift, you have to jack the vehicle up very high, and your Jeep is already at some cock-eyed angle. The risk of injuring someone is much higher. A Hi-Lift is useful for when you get stranded on rocks. You can lift the Jeep and stack some rocks to get a little bit more room, or push the Jeep sideways off of the Hi-Lift to get off the rocks on which you're stuck. You can also use a Hi-Lift as a crude winch to pull you some direction off of the rocks.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rapidfire
I was looking into a hi lift, but wasent sure if there are usable points on a stock JK (front and rear bumper) that you can use it on with out messing soemthing up. I know that have the lift mate but that doesent help change a tire
I was looking at getting one as well. I have a stock '09 JK.

Originally Posted by RobtTxRubi
NO the entire bumper where you could place the jack is plastic.
So...Is a hi-lift rendered useless with a stock JK? I was looking to get one to help with potential high-centered situations or as a rudimentary winch (if ever needed). Just trying to be more prepared out on the trails...
Old 09-14-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Some folks would disagree with me, but I don't consider the Hi-Lift a good option for changing a tire. Consider the scenario where you're wheeling and your swaybar is disconnected (assuming a non-Rubi) and you split open a tire on some rocks. Your Jeep is all cockeyed and you've got to put a new tire on. You really need a way to lift the Jeep by the axle that the busted tire is on. If you try to use a Hi-Lift, you have to jack the vehicle up very high, and your Jeep is already at some cock-eyed angle. The risk of injuring someone is much higher. A Hi-Lift is useful for when you get stranded on rocks. You can lift the Jeep and stack some rocks to get a little bit more room, or push the Jeep sideways off of the Hi-Lift to get off the rocks on which you're stuck. You can also use a Hi-Lift as a crude winch to pull you some direction off of the rocks.
I agree on tire changing. Hi-lifts are SO underestimated by most off roaders. They are EXTREMELY dangerous and unstable jacks. They are notorious for shooting straight up when they lose their footing. I personally don't care to be about a 50lb jack with 1000lbs loaded on it when it lets loose. Give me a good bottle jack and I'll get a little dirty to change a tire on a trail.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

when you're stuck, and no solution...I'll take what I can get.

I do agree about them being unstable. I'd rather use my bottle jack. When I move up in tire size, I'll also upgrade my bottle jack.

I tore out the tire pressure sensor/valve stem on an obstacle the other day. I hear air POURING out LOUDLY. I backed off the obstacle, took the bypass and high-tailed it to flat ground where I could use the bottle jack.

It is probably an OFTEN overlooked mod...upgrading your bottle jack to deal with increased tire height.

Last edited by CerOf; 09-14-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CerOf
Never said not to use it. Just said know what you are dealing with, chock the wheels and such. That Jeep decides to roll when that tire leaves the ground, be ready..
Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Smile Hi lift jack worth the money?

Originally Posted by CerOf

I do agree about them being unstable. I'd rather use my bottle jack. When I move up in tire size, I'll also upgrade my bottle jack.

I tore out the tire pressure sensor/valve stem on an obstacle the other day. I hear air POURING out LOUDLY. I backed off the obstacle, took the bypass and high-tailed it to flat ground where I could use the bottle jack.

It is probably an OFTEN overlooked mod...upgrading your bottle jack to deal with increased tire height.
Greetings,
always trying to learn,are the hi lift jacks worth having? See a lot of jeeps with them.
How do u upgrade your bottle jack.
Thanks for the information
Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by wallawallaron
... are the hi lift jacks worth having? See a lot of jeeps with them. How do u upgrade your bottle jack. ...
Yes, if you wheel someone needs to be carrying a Hi-Lift! Like I described earlier, if you get hung up, the Hi-Lift can be the tool that gets you unhung. As for upgrading the bottle jack, I think they meant to buy a bigger one. Or, I suppose, you could carry a few 2x6 boards to stack under the jack (they also are useful for putting under the tires when mired in mud).

Quick Reply: Hi Lift Points?