Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hi guys, 2012 Jeep issues

Old 02-06-2020, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi guys, 2012 Jeep issues

I just got this Jeep about a month and a half ago and it’s been great but I’ve noticed a few issues so let me begin. About a week after I got it I noticed it will die as soon as I put it in drive or reverse unless I let it run for about 10 min, once I start it back up it’s completely fine. Also sometimes when going up a slight to heavy hill it feels like it’s hanging out in 3rd to long if I lift the throttle it’ll shift and then it’s fine. thirdly just yesterday my cruise control quite working. If I’m in park the cruise will turn on but as soon as I move it shuts off. Is there anything that could tie these issues together? Please and thank you in advance for any info and help you may have.

ps Sunday two days before the cruise quite a friend of mine locked the keys in it with the lights on and disconnected the battery while waiting for a lock pop guy.

Last edited by ArcticJKU; 02-06-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Weak batteries are known to make the Jeep act quirky. As far as cruise goes- sometimes it will not function if you've got quirky inputs coming in from the wheel speed sensors. A sensor going may also create confusion with your shift points.

I'd check the easy things first though- how old is the battery and are the connections tight and clean from where they were disconnected? What's your trans fluid level. I have a manual so I can't help you here but someone can. Check that you've got clean fluid and that it's at the correct level.
The following users liked this post:
ArcticJKU (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 06:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Weak batteries are known to make the Jeep act quirky. As far as cruise goes- sometimes it will not function if you've got quirky inputs coming in from the wheel speed sensors. A sensor going may also create confusion with your shift points.

I'd check the easy things first though- how old is the battery and are the connections tight and clean from where they were disconnected? What's your trans fluid level. I have a manual so I can't help you here but someone can. Check that you've got clean fluid and that it's at the correct level.
it’s an original mopar battery so I’m assuming it’s the factory one, I checked the trans level and it’s good doesn’t smell burnt. I’ll have the battery tested tonight, is there a way to check the speed sensors?
Old 02-06-2020, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If it is indeed the original battery, it wouldn't surprise me if it was just low enough to cause quirks. We've seen folks with 2015-2016's with bad batteries.

Speed sensors usually are good or bad, there's usually not much middle ground without throwing a code. You can use a Bluetooth dongle and Jscan app to verify they're all reading the same speed or very close. I had a wheel bearing on the way out which caused the sensor to sometimes work correctly which disabled my cruise without throwing a code. Again, when wheel bearing is something that could be an issue with it being a 2012. Luckily they're fairly cheap and fairly easy to replace if that ends up being the culprit.

Trans fluid was checked while it was running and warm? I believe you've got to cycle to neutral to check it accurately but surging in the trans usually is a fluid issue.
ArcticJKU (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If it is indeed the original battery, it wouldn't surprise me if it was just low enough to cause quirks. We've seen folks with 2015-2016's with bad batteries.

Speed sensors usually are good or bad, there's usually not much middle ground without throwing a code. You can use a Bluetooth dongle and Jscan app to verify they're all reading the same speed or very close. I had a wheel bearing on the way out which caused the sensor to sometimes work correctly which disabled my cruise without throwing a code. Again, when wheel bearing is something that could be an issue with it being a 2012. Luckily they're fairly cheap and fairly easy to replace if that ends up being the culprit.

Trans fluid was checked while it was running and warm? I believe you've got to cycle to neutral to check it accurately but surging in the trans usually is a fluid issue.
yes it was checked warm after my drive home from work, I have a decent scan tool but unfortunately it does more than I know to do... lol it will do live data but it’s all Greek to me I might try to YouTube some videos and see if I can’t figure out the scan tool. I’m hoping it’s something as simple as a speed sensor. I talked to a tech earlier this morning and he said possibly a bad torque converter. Crossing my fingers that’s not the case.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:41 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

our batteries are often good for 2 years. Anything more than that and you're livin on borrowed time in my experience. Mind you, I buy reg ole whatever is available batteries (need a battery, what store is close by? kinda thing). I'd be a little concerned about the transmission issue, specifically the shifting out of park and reverse thing. Have the axles been regeared that you know of? I can see the jeep sticking in third being gear related. I've had different sets of gears hold for much longer than desired when stomping on it.....like getting on the interstate it would stay in 3rd gear for a REALLY long time. If that is happening with stock gearing it that would seem a little odd.
ArcticJKU (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
our batteries are often good for 2 years. Anything more than that and you're livin on borrowed time in my experience. Mind you, I buy reg ole whatever is available batteries (need a battery, what store is close by? kinda thing). I'd be a little concerned about the transmission issue, specifically the shifting out of park and reverse thing. Have the axles been regeared that you know of? I can see the jeep sticking in third being gear related. I've had different sets of gears hold for much longer than desired when stomping on it.....like getting on the interstate it would stay in 3rd gear for a REALLY long time. If that is happening with stock gearing it that would seem a little odd.
I'm not sure about the gearing, although it does seem to be pretty peppy for being on a 35” tire but then again I’m used to older jeeps with the 4.0 so. It definitely feels like it has more get up and go than my 99 XJ with 35”s and 4:56s
Old 02-06-2020, 03:04 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,700 Posts

These gear charts are pretty accurate -

You need to measure the ACTUAL height of your tires though, not just what is stamped on the sidewall. Get the jeep up to 70, look at the RPMs, and reference the chart. Good info for you to know regardless.
ArcticJKU (02-06-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

That’s great! Thanks I’ll check that out.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

So I just tested the battery and my battery is rated at 750 cca test results can back 836 cca at 12.73v temp of battery at test 105deg. Tester says good battery. Had the alternator tested and results are 14.22v no load 14.20 with load. (Headlights on high beam, radio on and heater on high.

to add to my confusion on my way home from work I got a check engine light maybe 10min from work. PO128 coolant temp below threshold... smh can’t see any other way these could be connected other than battery or charging system....

Quick Reply: Hi guys, 2012 Jeep issues