Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help transferkng brakes to new axle

Old 12-19-2015, 01:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help transferkng brakes to new axle

Guys need help noob. Upgrading to rubicon axles but reusing my brakes from old axles. I am having trouble removing the dust guard and part that the ebrake is connected too to the part right in front of the dust shield. Please help! I'm on the rear axle right now....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3779189791.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	588.7 KB
ID:	632516  
Old 12-19-2015, 01:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just leave it all intact. Remove the 4 nuts on the axle shaft/seal retainer and pull the axle out. The dust shield with all the brake parts can now be removed in one piece and transferred to the new axle assembly.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted
Just leave it all intact. Remove the 4 nuts on the axle shaft/seal retainer and pull the axle out. The dust shield with all the brake parts can now be removed in one piece and transferred to the new axle assembly.
Exactly the brake shield will come with the axle shaft.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not using the old axle shafts though. And I removed the 4 bolts and it ain't moving lol. I need to transfer everything to new axle shafts
Old 12-19-2015, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have to pull the old axles to get brake parts off.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
I'm not using the old axle shafts though. And I removed the 4 bolts and it ain't moving lol. I need to transfer everything to new axle shafts

The seal is holding the axle in....once the 4 nuts are removed, pull the axle out. It will take some force. Then the entire backing plate and brake assembly will fall out.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

The seal is holding the axle in....once the 4 nuts are removed, pull the axle out. It will take some force. Then the entire backing plate and brake assembly will fall out.

Took the bolts out all do what u say pry bar? Are u sure they will slide out? I thought the whole shaft will come out and the brake stuff can't come either
Old 12-19-2015, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Guys so driver side is all complete out smooth. Passenger side the dang bolts just keep spinning can unbolt the stupid thing. Only one bolt came off the rest keep spinning like the riv nut is loose can get any leverage to pull it out. U guys have any dam ideas?
Old 12-19-2015, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
Guys so driver side is all complete out smooth. Passenger side the dang bolts just keep spinning can unbolt the stupid thing. Only one bolt came off the rest keep spinning like the riv nut is loose can get any leverage to pull it out. U guys have any dam ideas?
There's several different ways to attack this, easiest being to grab the head of the stud with vice grips. Another way would is, if you have access to a welder, you can tack the head of the stud to the seal retainer. Best advice is, be patient. It really isn't difficult to do unless you get frustrated.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cut the bolts if you have to.

Once they are off, you may need to use a slide hammer to get them out.

Quick Reply: Help transferkng brakes to new axle