Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help! Stud in Dash

Old 08-15-2024, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Stud in Dash

Hello I have a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys. I have a vector off-road bar installed and the other day it came loose or so I thought. Turns out the stud inside the top of the dash on the drivers side had snapped. I’ve been trying to look up any information on this stud, but I come up empty every time. Does anyone know if this can be replaced? Any information on it would be helpful, thank you.

Old 08-15-2024, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts

My dash is out right now. That looks like it is indeed a stud.

You'd have to drill out or otherwise remove that stud and then fix it with a bolt or something. I can't comment on access to the bottom of the stud with the dash in place, but I'm not optimistic. Maybe you could drill and tap the hole and what's left of the stud? Then use some threaded rod and a nut to secure a new 'stud' in from the top?
Old 08-15-2024, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

I was afraid that would be the case. I was hoping it could be swapped out, but it seems like it will be more trouble than it’s worth for now. Amazing pictures and thank you for the help! At least I know what I’m getting into if I go for a fix!
Old 08-15-2024, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I'm glad I could help! A bonus of having your vehicle in pieces
Old 08-15-2024, 05:23 PM
JK Newbie

Very true 😂 I still had a little stud left. So if this happens to anyone else, I’ll explain what I’m attempting. There is a nut that holds some of the dash down, 13mm, that I took off. I then put a little loctite on the threads of the vector bar and threaded it onto what remained of the stud as tight as I could. I then bought a 6.00x1.00 25mm stainless bolt to compensate for the spacer I added (I wish I had the exact specs but I found it in a random bin 😂 it was the same diameter of the vector bar and maybe 3/8” thick). That spacer was painted black and placed on top of the vector bar to put it back to about the original height with the bolt normally on. I then put the bar on like normal and it seems to hold! I’ll find out if it stays on the trails this weekend! Thanks again for those pictures! Saved me a ton of time!

Old 08-16-2024, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Nice fix! It looks like you had a nut's worth of stud left. If the Vector bar sits flat against the stud tab now, I'll bet that bearing helps offset any reduced thread engagement.
The following users liked this post:
Zzinck (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,688 Posts

nice ingenuity on the fix. i think that is about the best you could have done.
The following users liked this post:
Zzinck (08-16-2024)

Quick Reply: Help! Stud in Dash