Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP! Starting Issues

Old 11-14-2012, 07:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Starting Issues

Hey Everyone, I have an issue with my JK and could use some help diagnosing it. I got in last night and went to turn the key and the dash light began flashing, horn began going on and off, light were flickering, and the windshield washer fluid was spraying out. Weird thing was it persisted after I removed the key and got out. It basically went on until the ECU shut off. It was as if something in the ECU was hanging up. I started it this morning and the problem persisted for about 5 seconds, but then stopped.

Any ideas? It's almost as if the JK is possessed when this is happening because I have no control of stopping it until the ECU power down. If anyone has experienced this or has any insight, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

-Scott
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Newbie

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if that resets it for you. Also, my battery died in my 2011 about a year and a half after I bought it. Take it Pep Boys, Auto Pros or some other auto shop/mechanic and see if the battery is going. A bad battery or one that is just barely holding on can do some crazy stuff. Just my two cents, good luck.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. That's going to be my first approach. The battery is new as of August. I did notice some corrosion on the negative lead, which could be creating the problem. The computer was spitting out a code for a transmission pressure sensor, but that doesn't seem to explain the other things going haywire.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The problem you described is typically related to the TIPM. Disconnecting the battery for a while and reconnecting it, will reset the TIPM and allow the TIPM to go back to controlling the Jeep's network of devices and modules as it should. If the problem persists after resetting or happens more frequently than you care to endure, you'll have to get your dealer to replace the TIPM. Unfortunately it's a factory part and it has to be programmed by a Jeep dealer during installation. The part and installation seem to run between $400 - $500 depending on your region.

So have your battery checked, maintain clean the terminals, and note if this happens again and how often.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:03 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the feedback! I cleaned the battery terminals and did a little more research on the TIPM module. This seems like it's a big problem among the '07 and '08 models. I'll definitely keep an eye on it and see how it holds up.

Quick Reply: HELP! Starting Issues