Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: How did/will you break-in your new JK's engine?
1: "RTFM": Soft but safe; aka "the engineers know best."
26.83%
2: "DILYSI": Drove it like I stole it - extreme break-in style.
12.20%
3: "Felt it Out": Somewhere between 1 and 2, not TOO extreme, not too wimpy.
54.47%
4: "The Scientist": I followed a strictly-controlled routine (explain).
3.25%
5: Other (explain): None of the above describe my method. :question:
3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Help settle an argument re: Engine Break-In

Old 03-17-2007, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drive it like you stole it.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dr.McNinja
FWIW, the owner's manual is not very in depth on this subject. Yeah, their recommendations won't break it, but at the same time, neither will what most of us are recommending. Tell you what, you do what you want with your money, and I'll do what I want with mine.

I'll bet you aren't telling people that they shouldn't put non-MOPAR items on their Jeeps (which the manual says to do), so why are you picking this subject as an example of the infallibility of the manual?
We are not talking about parts..........We are talking about the people who built the engine, telling you the best way to break it in.....Thats all !!
I followed what the manual says , on cars , motorcycles , chainsaws etc. I think they would know more about the products they make that some guy on a forum. That saying : DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT , was not meant for breaking in engines. I ALWAYS DO WHAT I WANT.......PERIOD.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by clubber
We are not talking about parts..........We are talking about the people who built the engine, telling you the best way to break it in.....Thats all !!
So, like I said, you are following what one part of the manual says about the engine, but ignoring what the manual says about aftermarket parts, even though they are written by the same people.
I followed what the manual says , on cars , motorcycles , chainsaws etc.
Ok. So you only but 5W- 20 in it, cheap gas only, and didn't break 50mph in the first 60 miles? What about the people who drove it before you? Or did it come with 0 miles on it?
I think they would know more about the products they make that some guy on a forum.
Well, sort of. They know what will cause fewer of them to be repaired under warranty. They put that so that it will cost DC less money, not because it is the best way to make your engine run well. You'll note, though, that their information is basically the same as the material I posted, just that mine was a little more in depth, and explained why the manual said what it did.
That saying : DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT , was not meant for breaking in engines.
I didn't say it.
I ALWAYS DO WHAT I WANT.......PERIOD.
Good for you. So do I. Our opinions differ, but you insist on typing in capital letters and telling people I am wrong. You have no data to prove you are right either, just anecdotal experience. I told people to do what they want, you told them to do one thing only.

Last edited by Dr.McNinja; 03-17-2007 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:31 PM
JK Junkie

<Squash>

You both chose to completely ignore my stupid post about breaking an engine, just so that you could go at each other a little more?

Let's agree to disagree and let this rest - you're both right to some degree. Bottom line, and an unassailable argument: The manual's instructions are safe - end of story there. Speaking to the other side of the argument, it is possible that alternative break-in methods may yield better results - then again, they may cause premature engine failure. Simply stated, THIS side of the argument is not scientifically "proven," whereas people have been gently breaking in their engines for generations with proven results. Time will tell, and if you've got the balls to beat the piss out of your brand-new engine right off the lot, more power to you, and good luck.

As for me, I split the difference between the extremes. Can't we all just wave along?

Edit: I wanted some objective "across the forum" input, so I started this poll - please feel free to make your case on this thread.

Last edited by MJS_Jeep_888; 03-17-2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Added Poll with link to new thread.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Question Help settle an argument re: Engine Break-In

So - this is a hot topic for some: What is the BEST way to break in your new JK's engine? There seem to be some genuine differences of opinion on this subject, and so far, those with differing viewpoints have presented some good evidence in support of their arguments... but I want to know what the majority of owners are going to do (or have done) for break-in procedures.

As for me, I'm in-between the extremes. I wasn't about to beat the piss out of my brand-new engine right off the dealer lot (i.e. "drive it like you stole it"), but nor did I drive like a grandmother (i.e. "babying it")... I avoided full-throttle launches from a dead stop for the first couple days, but was quite liberal in my throttle application once I was rolling. I also made sure to vary the engine speed as much as I could reasonably do, without endangering other drivers around me. This style seems to have worked very well ON MY JK, and my mileage and power seem to be steadily improving with every fill-up, as the miles pile up slowly (as of this writing, I'm at about 700 miles).

So - the question: What did YOU do for break-in procedures, and why? Your vote matters here, and all comments are welcome - hopefully you can explain WHY you chose the method that you did, whether it's just a gut feeling or some highly-scientific answer. Thanks for participating!
Old 03-17-2007, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

My Jeep had 71 miles on when I got it but I had about a 360 mile drive home. On I-10 I averaged between 80 and 90 mph most of the way.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Robar
My Jeep had 71 miles on when I got it but I had about a 360 mile drive home. On I-10 I averaged between 80 and 90 mph most of the way.
Question for you: Was this out of necessity (constant speed) or on purpose? I've heard that maintaining a constant speed for long periods of time is the worst possible way to break in an engine... do you know otherwise?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:00 PM
JK Super Freak

As mentioned in my post on the other thread. Multiple heat cycles, WOT periods, etc.
Also helps to bed in the brakes.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

My puropse was to get the hell home. I had been traveling since 0300 that morning and wanted to get some rest.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Robar
My puropse was to get the hell home. I had been traveling since 0300 that morning and wanted to get some rest.
I hear that - good 'nuff.

Quick Reply: Help settle an argument re: Engine Break-In