Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help - Rear seat latch down

Old 10-16-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I went out and looked at the carpet. Maybe trim a little off in the area marked in the picture ??

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Carpet 2.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	378844
Old 10-16-2012, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to slam the seat down. It will latch!
I had this problem after I installed my rear cargo mat until I figured out the seat just needed a little "encouragement".
Old 12-08-2019, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sandman
No offense but is it possible that you have the seat placed wrong and it's not latching because the part on the seat that fits on the forward bar is on the wrong bar? I have had I think a similar problem and once I placed the seat correctly it latched with no problems.
Question:
My sister in law put her back seat only one of the hooks on the anchors. Now it it hard to remove the seat. The back latch is hooked and it won't release.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy

Originally Posted by AV8RS3V3RN
That's not the issue at hand. I tried both methods of having the back locked back and also with it folded forward. Neither locks.

I did take a tissue and lie it under the seat then held the seat down and tried to pull the tissue out without ripping it (to find tight spots). I did find that the tissue tore when placed on the inner sides of the latch between 2 and 4 inches away from the locking mechanism. See the picture if that makes no sense....the red areas are where it is tearing. I'm kinda thinking Ill just have to trim the carpet now.
Attachment 378678

I have the same issue but I haven't changed my carpet in my jeep. It will randomly lock sometimes and others it won't. It is absolutely annoying. I have had my jeep for 5 years now and it just started doing this last year. 😥 BTW.. that new carpet is beautiful 💕
Old 02-08-2021, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by hneiper
The way mine works is once you get the front hooks in place and able to lower the back of the bench down so the back hooks line up - then you push down and forward on it until it locks in place. Once it locks in place then you can fold the seat back back up. Took me a few times of randomly getting it to work before i realized what I did.

Just read Jim's post and I had that same issue too.

Good luck!
I will have to try this since I have the same issue. I will let you know how that goes
Old 05-30-2021, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

I have never removed the seat. Nor have I done anything with the carpet. The only thing I have done with my 08 Jk is that I have sprayed some WD-40 on the latch and now it won't. It used to. Hard. Had to slam it down. Now? No matter what I do, it will not latch. Unless I make it with my finger. Then I can't put it down because it's already locked.

In can hear it strike the lock bars when I slam it hard. It just won't latch. Makes me think there is a spacing issue.

Any suggestions here?
Old 08-25-2021, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default Back seat folds down partially

Originally Posted by AV8RS3V3RN
So I took my rear bench seat out last week to re-install my carpet after enjoying my first summer of Line-X. Now with everything back together, the seat won't latch down to the rear mounts.

Only thing I can think of is the carpet height is keeping it from latching, but I can distinctively hear the metal clasp hitting the metal rod in the floor when I push down on the seat. Makes me think I might have to make a trip to the Stealership and have them look at it. Any brilliant ideas before I resort to their "expertise"
Well, I’ve experienced same problem partially. I’ve took my rear carpet in order to have them dried under sunlight and didn’t take the rear seat out. After reinstalling the carpet I noticed the rear seats (all of them) folded down, but the headrests didn’t. I wanted to put my mountain bike inside my JKU, but it was very tight. By the way, I have pulled forward both front seats completely before trying to fold rear seats. I’m not sure about if that happened because I took the carpets out, once I had never tried to fold the seats before removing the carpet. Any guesses ?

Old 08-25-2021, 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

I had to utilize the steelership angle. The had to use a jack to move the floor. Turns out those latches are pretty intolerant of small variances. If they don't have just the right amount of movement they won't trip. Save $280. Find those specs and do it yourself.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you, bigbernie. I’ll do it this weekend.
Best regards from Brazil.

Quick Reply: Help - Rear seat latch down