Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help for rear sag when loaded or towing

Old 11-23-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbags with off road?

Hi. I found this forum because I'm towing an enclosed trailer (2k lbs empty) and have some sag in the rear of my jeep when I tow. 2008 JK, 3.5 lift, 35's. Heavy aftermarket bumpers.
I contacted Airlift but they are not responding. It sounds like a set of rear airbags would solve the sag, but my question is does it change 4wd performance? I take this thing on trails all the time too, do you just let all the air out? Thanks if anybody knows!
Old 11-23-2016, 12:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by wesblake
Hi. I found this forum because I'm towing an enclosed trailer (2k lbs empty) and have some sag in the rear of my jeep when I tow. 2008 JK, 3.5 lift, 35's. Heavy aftermarket bumpers. I contacted Airlift but they are not responding. It sounds like a set of rear airbags would solve the sag, but my question is does it change 4wd performance? I take this thing on trails all the time too, do you just let all the air out? Thanks if anybody knows!
invest in a weight distribution tongue and hitch. While towing it will transfer weight to the front. When not towing, you haven't changed a thing. I've towed a 5000 pound toy hauler with my JKU. With the weight distribution hitch, I could make my Jeep sit level even with the very heavy tongue weight.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A weight distributing hitch is a good idea but the airbags can really help as well. Airlift and Firestone both offer them. Based on all the problems I had with Airlift I'd suggest trying Firestone. Installation is easy and you can adjust the pressure according to your needs.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered Timbrens for my 2012 Jk. My friend has them and loves them.

Quick Reply: Help for rear sag when loaded or towing