Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help for rear sag when loaded or towing

Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for rear sag when loaded or towing

I have a 2013 Rubi Unlimited. Stock wheels and tires, stock suspension. When loaded with hunting gear and 3 people, and coolers on a hitch hauler (150 lbs total full coolers), I have enough sag in rear that everyone thinks I am highlighting them at night. We all know the Jeep headlights suck, so it is aimed up pretty bad. Less than 20K miles, and not abused, so springs should not be worn out. Sits fine when not loaded.
Also does this if I have a small 5x8 trailer with ATV and junk on it...
I really don't want a lift kit. Just want to put more spring in rear I think? I will put up with a little rougher ride, to keep it level.
Would put a leveling kit or springs or what ever, if I have to, as I cant keep doing what I am doing now.

What are some suggestions? Sure some others have been through this. What have you done?
I have searched and read a bunch of post, but not found what I am looking for...

Thanks in advance.
Ken
Old 12-28-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could put some heavier springs in the front and rear.
Check your spring #'s.
It will increase your ride height, but not much.

I put a lift on my JK and have a slight rake. I like it better than level, cause sometimes I tow a Jetski, or carry a lot of
equipment and run without a back seat.
I hate when the front is higher.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you don't want a lift look in to airbags.
Firestone Ride-Rite Part fir4172 - Coil-Rite Air Helper Springs - Fits 2007 to 2015 JK Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited - 4 Wheel Drive
Old 12-28-2014, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a stiffer spring like OM Emu etc. Also, I am opposite of my brother above me in this thread. I HATE the rake. Looks like a damn SUV. And I don't buy the "it is better for gas mileage" or "level it with heavy bumpers". Good luck Ken
Old 12-28-2014, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking springs, had not thought about airbags for the jeep.
I like the look of a little lift, but just don't want to mess us the geometry of the suspension. Is my daily driver, and works well off road for hills and fire - farm trails I am on now. I am not in deep mud, and no big rocks, so ground clearance is not an issue. Don't want to spend a ton of money on this either.

Chemlight, good luck in Fayetteville... I lived there about 10 years. Town is not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. Mountains on one side, beach on the other... not all bad.

Ken
Old 12-28-2014, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Airbags are inexpensive and work very well for your needs . Airlift is what I use.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i also agree

Originally Posted by FDHog
You could put some heavier springs in the front and rear.
Check your spring #'s.
It will increase your ride height, but not much.

I put a lift on my JK and have a slight rake. I like it better than level, cause sometimes I tow a Jetski, or carry a lot of
equipment and run without a back seat.
I hate when the front is higher.
prefer the factory rake over a front end level or high

also agree with going up on spring size ( ill be doing this too some point) if it starts to sag to much.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1582 (2).jpg
Views:	247
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	589875  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 12-31-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

I use the Firestone airbags. They work very well. Easy to install and easy to adjust.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I put Airlift airbags in mine and they work great and were only about $100. They make a kit especially for JK. I got mine from Chris at Jeep Addons and the install was pretty easy.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default airbags with leveling kit?

Clark,

Did you put the airbags in along with the leveling kit in you have listed in your signature line?

Any down sides to the leveling kit anyone?

thanks
Ken

Quick Reply: Help for rear sag when loaded or towing