Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help needed with rough idle

Old 03-16-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
At just 700 miles on the odo I would not be cleaning anything yet.

Try a different brand of fuel before you do anything.
X2
Old 03-16-2011, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Break Down

Originally Posted by H2OBoy
So my '11 JKU has right at 700 miles and from day one has had a bit of a rough idle. It is worse right as and shortly after the vehicle is started. I took it into the dealer to have it checked and they cannot find anything. There are no faults showing and everything checks out on their end. They tell me they really can't do anything until the computer shows an error code or there is a technical service bulletin showing an issue. Any ideas where to go from here? I would imagine the idle is not going to get any smoother on it's own as time goes on.
The fuel- 10% Ethanol, maybe more- breaks down into water and alcohol ("phase separation") When you first start your engine, it could pick up the componets, causing rough idle. If you don't keep your tank full, you will pick up moisture from condensation, especially in damp weather. I use an additive, developed for marine engines called "StarTron" "Stabil" also makes one. If your Jeep sat for a long time on the Dealer lot, water could have built up in the tank over time...
Old 03-16-2011, 09:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I had a rough idle and it turned out to be a cracked spark plug. I noted the idle at 1 mile when I bought it. My salesman said "all of them do that because chrysler doesn't run these motors prior to you taking delivery, don't worry about it, it is nothing". The code for a bad plug popped at 500 miles and my servicewriter (dickhead we shall call him) told me that when I washed the exterior of my jeep that I must have gotten some water on the plug and I needed to be more careful (jeep hadn't been washed in 3 days and the temperature was 80 outside, normal operating temps under the hood so water would have dried). So they reset the code and sent me on my way. I took it home and checked the plug in question- the insulation was broken causing it to short to ground. The issue popped another code at 1000 miles and this time they took an hour and a half to figure out it was a bad plug. First they said it was my computer, then my coil pack, then maybe wires and then they finally came out to me with a plug in hand.

Edit- at 1000 miles I cleaned my TB because I was bored. I just did it again at 20k miles just to prevent any potential issues down the road (cough cough TOYOTA cough cough) my auto mechanic friend said they should be cleaned at 50k but 30k is better. Less gunk is more power.

Same thing for me... I had a cracked Champion plug. I replaced all of the plugs and the problem ceased. running smooth since.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I had a rough idle and it turned out to be a cracked spark plug. I noted the idle at 1 mile when I bought it. My salesman said "all of them do that because chrysler doesn't run these motors prior to you taking delivery, don't worry about it, it is nothing". The code for a bad plug popped at 500 miles and my servicewriter (dickhead we shall call him) told me that when I washed the exterior of my jeep that I must have gotten some water on the plug and I needed to be more careful (jeep hadn't been washed in 3 days and the temperature was 80 outside, normal operating temps under the hood so water would have dried). So they reset the code and sent me on my way. I took it home and checked the plug in question- the insulation was broken causing it to short to ground. The issue popped another code at 1000 miles and this time they took an hour and a half to figure out it was a bad plug. First they said it was my computer, then my coil pack, then maybe wires and then they finally came out to me with a plug in hand.

Edit- at 1000 miles I cleaned my TB because I was bored. I just did it again at 20k miles just to prevent any potential issues down the road (cough cough TOYOTA cough cough) my auto mechanic friend said they should be cleaned at 50k but 30k is better. Less gunk is more power.

You know I wonder if some of these people that work for dealerships are just fcuking with you or are they really that stupid. I'm lucky with my dealership,they treat you like a human.

The older you get the more you realize there are more a$$holes in this world than you orignally thought.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark plug gaps

Check the gaps on your spark plugs. A few people here have found that gaps on their plugs weren't set properly at the factory when they were installed. My JK's idle started to get rough just around the mileage that the plugs were due to be replaced (ie; the worn electrodes had the same effect of too big a gap). Had it serviced, new plugs installed, and it runs like a dream now.

Last edited by JKlad; 03-16-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Default Could be Plugs

I just had my oil changed at 15,000 kms (9,000 miles) on my 2011. It also has a bit of a rough idle and feels a bit sluggish. The service tech took it for a drive to check a possible bad ball joint and he noticed it without me telling him. They did not check into it, but he told me to check the plugs and chances are that I will find a bad one. I'll pull them this weekend and if there's a dud I'll post some pics.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turn 9
I just had my oil changed at 15,000 kms (9,000 miles) on my 2011. It also has a bit of a rough idle and feels a bit sluggish. The service tech took it for a drive to check a possible bad ball joint and he noticed it without me telling him. They did not check into it, but he told me to check the plugs and chances are that I will find a bad one. I'll pull them this weekend and if there's a dud I'll post some pics.
I had the same exact issue with mine in it's early life about 1000 miles or so. I Checked the plugs and when pulling off one of the spark plug boots I discovered how cheap the stock plug wires are. Putting it nicely THEY SUCK! So I replaced the plugs and the wires with Bosch Platinum Iridium's and Granatelli Zero resistance plug wires.

I Am VERY Happy Now! Highly recommended.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

How much did you pay for the wires - where did you purchase them? Thanks
Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

I just put in a full tank of premium. I'm going to let that run through and see if there is a difference. If not I may take it to a different dealer and get another opinion. Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

The premium fuel did not seem to do much. Does anyone know if there is a regional (or other) service department that this issue could be escalated to if I cannot get it resolved locally? I had an issue several years ago with a Suburban that was finally resolved by a regional service tech after three local service departments could not help.

Quick Reply: Help needed with rough idle