Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help with my Tie Rod...seems to sit low.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced mine because the TREs were shot. I went with SteerSmarts Yeti but as noted above, several good choices available. I'm sure you'll find a match for your needs.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by juanburgundy
I'm not sure either. My wife has been driving it to handle the kids sports activities. We took it on a quick trip to pismo and drove on the beach a bit but noting too crazy or anything that required much effort. I haven't been driving the JK for a while now since I have been taking public transportation because my job pays for it. I did notice that the diff cover is scraped on the bottom as well, but as you mentioned it should have bent upwards. I drove it around this morning, and did not notice anything weird with the steering. I guess its time for an upgrade!

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions on what to replace it with.

Thanks again!
You mentioned in your original post that you have the Mopar 2in lift. Who did the install of the lift? Like mentioned, that bar should be bent the other way, so I'm trying to figure out how it could have been bent in that direction. The only thing, I could think of is that if you had the lift installed at a shop, then somehow that tie rod or steering stabilizer got hung up on something as they were raising the hoist.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

What kind of off road use does your jeep see? I'm all for upgrading components, but a good tie rod isn't cheap. If the jeep is never off road or only sees a few dirt trails, it might just make more sense to find another factory TR that someone pulled off. I hate saying replace shot OEM things with more OEM things, but not everyone needs a $350 - $600 tie rod. On the other hand, if you do wheel that jeep, it is probably a good excuse to bite the bullet and upgrade it.

I'm in the same boat as the previous poster....still scratching my head how it got bent in that direction.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm calling the wife snagged it backing up over something. As others have said I have a synergy and am happy with it. I too was bummed when I had to replace mine. It was an unplanned upgrade and for reason it hurt a little to drop $375 on such an unsexy upgrade.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:56 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by casamtb
I'm calling the wife snagged it backing up over something. As others have said I have a synergy and am happy with it. I too was bummed when I had to replace mine. It was an unplanned upgrade and for reason it hurt a little to drop $375 on such an unsexy upgrade.
I'm running the Synergy as well. The real kick to the nads isn't as much the $375, as it is the additional $60 or so for the steering stabilizer clamp.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Synergy seized after two years as those pichbolt seams allow too much road grime and salt inside the adjuster sleeve. It ended up being 325$ down the tube.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by horrocks007
My Synergy seized after two years as those pichbolt seams allow too much road grime and salt inside the adjuster sleeve. It ended up being 325$ down the tube.
Same problem but mine seized much quicker than that!
Old 11-15-2016, 06:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I'm so glad we don't have to worry about salt here in north Texas .
Old 11-15-2016, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
You mentioned in your original post that you have the Mopar 2in lift. Who did the install of the lift? Like mentioned, that bar should be bent the other way, so I'm trying to figure out how it could have been bent in that direction. The only thing, I could think of is that if you had the lift installed at a shop, then somehow that tie rod or steering stabilizer got hung up on something as they were raising the hoist.
I had the dealer install the lift. I got a good deal on it since I have a friend that manages the service department. I think the tie rod was bent prior to the lift being installed.

Originally Posted by resharp001
What kind of off road use does your jeep see? I'm all for upgrading components, but a good tie rod isn't cheap. If the jeep is never off road or only sees a few dirt trails, it might just make more sense to find another factory TR that someone pulled off. I hate saying replace shot OEM things with more OEM things, but not everyone needs a $350 - $600 tie rod. On the other hand, if you do wheel that jeep, it is probably a good excuse to bite the bullet and upgrade it.

I'm in the same boat as the previous poster....still scratching my head how it got bent in that direction.
My JK does not see much off roading or crawling. I drive it on the beach about a handful of times a year and light trails when we go camping about a handful of times a year as well. I haven't done any serious crawling with it, I did climb a boulder once just to see how the suspension flex's and to take a picture. I think my wife could have snagged it against something when backing up.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this. I am still fighting with myself on whether or not to buy the Steer Smarts Tie Rod or go with another factory one. I plan on keeping my JK forever so upgrading it little by little is why I am leaning towards the Steer Smarts over OEM.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After the Synergy one, I went with Metal Cloak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-686765930.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	484.1 KB
ID:	660912

Time will tell if it survives the long haul. I also looked at the yeti one, but thought it was overpriced. If the steering stabilizer mount was included with the tie rod, I probably would have given them a shot.

Quick Reply: Help with my Tie Rod...seems to sit low.