Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help with my Tie Rod...seems to sit low.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my Tie Rod...seems to sit low.

Hi everyone. I recently installed the Mopar 2 inch lift on my 2010 JKU and never paid much attention to my tie rod. Looking at the front of my JKU and comparing it to other JK's that I see it seems as if my tie rod is installed incorrectly and is hanging too low. Here are some pictures I took this morning. Let me know what you guys think and if there are any adjustments I should make.

Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7781.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	660122

Name:	IMG_7783.JPG
Views:	423
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	660123

Name:	IMG_7784.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	660124

Name:	IMG_7786.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	660125
Old 11-02-2016, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't appear to be installed incorrectly. However maybe it's the angle of your photo but it seems bent. Can you take another photo from further away?
Old 11-02-2016, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by PsychoCupcake
It doesn't appear to be installed incorrectly. However maybe it's the angle of your photo but it seems bent. Can you take another photo from further away?
Exactly what I was going to say.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Exactly what I was going to say.
Thanks for the replies. I'll snap a pic tonight when I get off from work. I knew it looked out of place.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

It could just be an artifact of cell phone cameras having a wide angle lens. That's why a photo from further away helps.

If you happened to be comparing your tie rod to anyone with high steer knuckles, then I can also see your confusion, as the tie rod is mounted up higher with those. But as far as installation goes for stock knuckles, yours is correct.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,942 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Agreed. 1st and 4th pics look like it has a nice smile to it! If it is indeed bent like that, you'll have to tell us all the great wheelin' story as to how it ended up that way as that would be a hard bend to accomplish! I suspect, as it has already been pointed out, it's probably just an illusion.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Took some more pics today. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	660667   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3969.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	2.57 MB
ID:	660668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6759.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	660669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7882.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	660670  
Old 11-11-2016, 01:34 PM
JK Freak

Ya that is most definitely bent. Not sure how you managed that. Most of the time they get bent up, not down.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Ya that is most definitely bent. Not sure how you managed that. Most of the time they get bent up, not down.

I'm not sure either. My wife has been driving it to handle the kids sports activities. We took it on a quick trip to pismo and drove on the beach a bit but noting too crazy or anything that required much effort. I haven't been driving the JK for a while now since I have been taking public transportation because my job pays for it. I did notice that the diff cover is scraped on the bottom as well, but as you mentioned it should have bent upwards. I drove it around this morning, and did not notice anything weird with the steering. I guess its time for an upgrade!

Let me know if you guys have any suggestions on what to replace it with.

Thanks again!
Old 11-11-2016, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by juanburgundy
I'm not sure either. My wife has been driving it to handle the kids sports activities. We took it on a quick trip to pismo and drove on the beach a bit but noting too crazy or anything that required much effort. I haven't been driving the JK for a while now since I have been taking public transportation because my job pays for it. I did notice that the diff cover is scraped on the bottom as well, but as you mentioned it should have bent upwards. I drove it around this morning, and did not notice anything weird with the steering. I guess its time for an upgrade! Let me know if you guys have any suggestions on what to replace it with. Thanks again!
I bent my stock one on the trail. Replaced with a synergy and I have been happy. Dropped on it pretty hard multiple times and it's still straight. Most companies make good ones though. Just do a little searching for one that looks good at a price you're willing to pay

Quick Reply: Help with my Tie Rod...seems to sit low.