Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help! My brakes froze up while driving today.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds like your dealer doesn't have a diagnostic technician. Many jeeps have sticking calipers so yours does too. Right. Brake pads that wear out early so yours must have too. Right. This place is going to throw YOUR money at the problem, instead of looking seriously and properly diagnosing the problem from the beginning. Your calipers, even after cooling down, should be blue and warped to hell. I would really try to get another dealership to look at it. MAKE SURE when you talk to the service writer that he LISTENS TO YOU and ACCURATELY writes down your concerns. Lots of service writers become "experts" and will write ''sticking caliper'' or ''brakes worn out'' and the tech never hears the circumstances of your breakdown. Ask to talk to the repairman directly to explain the circumstances of your problem. A good tech will welcome your input. If you feel you are being stonewalled ask to speak to the service manager. Be pleasant and explain the circumstances that brought you there. If you get no cooperation then take your jeep elsewhere. Yes the ABS system operating from a false input can lock any and or all brakes together or independently of the others.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a diagnostic technician (industrial machinery), they don't have one. All they have is a bunch of part changers. Is it always this hard to get through to the dealer? They will cover the caliper under warranty but not the pads and rotors that the caliper destroyed

My main concern is that 500 miles from now the brakes are gonna lock up again because that issue was never fixed.

The worst part is that I am trading in for a 2012 but they don't have any soft top, 6 speed, Rubicons anywhere so it needs to be ordered. Basically I'm just looking for them to say everything is working fine and they will give me the same trade in value they offered last week. I am honestly afraid to drive it out of their lot if they don't fix anything on top of pads, caliper, and rotors.

I will be posting a "Beware! Don't buy my Jeep" after I trade in mine.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

See the Sales manager. Explain your issue and tell him you are ready to order a new JK but you are having issues with the service department- can he assist you? Believe me, he will. Show him the photo of the rotors glowing....a blind man could see something is wrong....
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How was this issue resolved?

Just curious. I'm dealing with a frozen caliper right now.

Quick Reply: Help! My brakes froze up while driving today.