Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP! JK Won't Start

Old 10-18-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michiganjeep2008
Just experienced this issue. Mine didn't start last night at work - called wrecker to jump start - wouldnt start had it towed to dealership - talked to them today. They are ordering some new harness - ignition harness, wont be in till mid week. I'm picking up a loaner car on Monday, will have to discuss this issue with them. Sounds like this can happen more than once? Mine is an 08 with 17,000 miles. I asked dealer if this was a recall issue and it isn't.
I pulled the white fuse when this happened to me , started right away
The following users liked this post:
Haskie (09-05-2018)
Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulling the fuse worked for me the first two times. Now all the shaking of the wheel, shifting in and out of neutral and fuse pulling won't work. Tow truck on the way. Warranty expired about 1,500 miles before the first occurrence. Seems like it's worse when it's colder outside
Old 11-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

People that are having this problem....check your ground cable from the battery. Friend of mine who is the service manager at the local stealership said this is a common problem with jk's
Old 04-06-2012, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Two months ago, I was having problems with my 2008 Wrangler Rubicon starting. No click for multiple tries, then it would finally start. Finally, the multiple retries wouldn't get it started, so I replaced the starter with a brand new Bosch starter. Everything worked great for two months, then after stopping for gas, it wouldn't start. This time, you could clearly hear the click from the starter, so I tried a jump, but that didn't work. We thought the battery was too dead, even for a jump, so I bought a new battery.....nothing. I had it towed to a nearby garage who immedietely thought it was the starter. They replaced the starter with another new Bosch, which didn't work so they tried a new starter from the dealer. With the starter not being the problem, they found a shop bulletin from Jeep, stating a computer module needed to be reset, so they towed my Jeep to a nearby Jeep dealer. They reset the computer but still nothing. After all this, they finally found a loose ground wire. It's starting great now. Although I'm concerned that the loose wire is truly the cause, I'm happy to be driving my Jeep again after a full week in the shop.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 AM
RLT
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So which ground wire ?
I've had a couple of no starts with my 2007CRD build and was wanting to check all the grounds but need to know where to look.
There a ground next to the battery but where should I be checking for the rest ?

Thanks
RLT
Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 PM
JK Newbie

I was running late for church this morning so I didn't let the engine warmup for long. But before I left, I drove in front of the house to shut off my car to close the gate so the dog wouldn't run away. I ran back to unlock my 2012 JK with the key fob and attempted to restart the engine but it just wouldn't start. So my sister came home with my dads tacoma to help me jump start. Being that we are girls I didn't think we could jump start the car, but we did attempt. So I called my fiancé and he tried to jump start the JK with his Tacoma ::::: unfortunately my JK still wouldn't turn on. After an hour my neighbor arrived and he tried to help. He took a look at my key fob, told me to turn on and off my headlights a few times and had me try to start the engine.....and it freaking started. So I turned it right back off, then unlocked my car from the doors, then tried to turn on the ignition again and it did not work again. At this point we called for roadside assistance to tow my JK to the dealership. But before the tow truck was coming, which was scheduled to come in another hour, I tried to mess with the key fob and switching the headlights on and off again and damnit the car started again. My dad was home and church was over. I told him what happened this morning and recreated what I was going through before coming to church. But every time we clicked the key fob to lock and unlock, and pressed the lock/unlock button from the doors, we were able to start the engine. This is weird situation which some of u are going thru. I will bring the JK in for diagnostics. This should be a recall notice
Old 10-14-2012, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

ManoaManiac

Curious to hear what the dealership said, I wonder if you could have reset the Jeeps computer buy disconnecting the battery?

Please don't consider this advice I am not a mechanic or a car guy just curious about this problem.

Last edited by Johnnyfever; 10-14-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:20 PM
JK Newbie

Johnnyfever,

I had to bring my JK to the dealership this morn since it didn't start again. I don't think it's my battery. had a hunch that my starter was giving me problems. So I just gently tapped my starter and was able to get my engine to turn over. As much as I like my jeep wrangler, this is UNSAT since I just bought this new a year ago. Grrrrrrrr.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:22 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ignition Switch

Had same issue with 2012 unlimited sahara. After a few years discovered why dealer could not replicate. Worked fine if used unlock button on remote and then the key. If car was left unlocked in garage for an hour or overnight and then tried key without first using unlock button, sometimes car did not start Dealer could not replicate, because they always unlocked when going to car before they tried to start. Issue was ignition switch, part less than $50 at autoparts store, dealer installed part estimate was about $150. Good Luck
Old 06-09-2018, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TEEJ
There's a fuse that blows when the static electricity from the keys with the chips sometimes internally sparks the anti-theft 'puter, and it poops.

The dealers are on to this, they do not know how to actually FIX the problem, but, they DO know that resetting the fuse buys time. (You go away and leave them alone...)

BTW - YOU can re-set it yourself the next time.

PS - the starters themselves can go blewy too, and fry out due to ANOTHER bad QA/QC issue...mine melted due to a bad connection from the factory...at about 6K on the odo. (Hard to see, its under a factory "skid plate")

They spent "Days" in contact with Chrysler...and, the verdict...its not always fixable...its just a built-in problem....and a few JK's have it...and "Chrysler is working on a solution ASAP" (Selling Jeep?)

The solution if this happens to YOU, and you DO NOT feel like going through this agonizing process?

Pull the firiggin fuse for 30 seconds....then push it back in...and its cured, at least so you can start it, THIS TIME.

Here's my crappy write up:

1. Open the hood, find the fuse box next to the battery, open it.

2. There's a large white fuse case with two little 60 amp blade fuses in it....pull up the white part, leave it up for 30 seconds.

3. Push the white part back down, close the box and hood, start the jeep.

The fuse box next to the battery

Push the two little tabs in to open the top of the fuse box

The location of that white fuse you pull, next to a large yellow fuse you don't.

Close up (Blurry) of white fuse next to yellow fuse....I wrote on the fuse so my wife could tell which one if she had to.

I hope this saves some poor soul a few tows when it would have been a bad time, etc.

If anything's still unclear...feel free to ask.

A post from way back in 2008 ... and still very useful 10 years later!. Have a 2014 JKU that just had this exact issue. Happened when my daughter was driving it. Same symptoms ... turning the key did nothing but light up the dashboard. She called and said it turned iver 1 time, but after that nothing. Drove the Taco over there maybe to jump it or something. But, the lights, any light, on the thing did not dim or anything when trying to start it (sometimes a clue to battery). Went straight to google and found your post. Pulled out that fuse & put it back in. Voila ... JK started like the day I drove it off the lot. Not liking the idea that Chrysler STILL hasn’t figured out the root cause.
small footnote - I installed an sPod specifically to separate add one from stock electrical system, so I’m as sure as I can be that this is in no way related to anything that’s been added to it.

Quick Reply: HELP! JK Won't Start