Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help! Jeep is studdering through the shifts

Old 06-27-2010, 09:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Jeep is studdering through the shifts

Well, my Jeep is only two months old and has 4,000 miles on it. It was running fine one day, then got in it saturday morning and it was acting funny. When I make the shift from first to second everything is fine, however second to third and third to fourth isn't. When I make the shift, release the clutch and give it gas for a split second it makes a "du du du du" and then goes. Now, it feels like the clutch is slipping, but it can't be that because it would be doing it through all the gears. Doubt it's anything to do with the fuel pump because of the vehicle being so new, so that leaves me to think something electronic needs to be reflashed. It does it EVERY time I go from second to third, and third to fourth. I haven't made the shift from fourth to fifth and fifth to sixth yet, so i'm not sure if it continues doing it through the gears. I'm bringing it to the dealer tomorrow, anyone else have any troubles like this?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 09 is doing that as well, but it idles funny too. It is spark plugs, oem ones are strange, there not all gaped properley. If it's still on warinity take it in they will change them for you.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pirate
My 09 is doing that as well, but it idles funny too. It is spark plugs, oem ones are strange, there not all gaped properley. If it's still on warinity take it in they will change them for you.
I'll mention the plugs, doesn't feel like thats the problem though. Feels more electronic
Old 06-27-2010, 10:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either of you guys had the battery disconnected or installed/removed a tuner?

Mine shutters for a few drive cycles after i change or remove my superchips tune. good long highway run, or some hard throttle runs seems to get the adaptations right so it doesn't do it.

Just an idea..
Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
either of you guys had the battery disconnected or installed/removed a tuner?

Mine shutters for a few drive cycles after i change or remove my superchips tune. good long highway run, or some hard throttle runs seems to get the adaptations right so it doesn't do it.

Just an idea..
Nope, never had the battery come loose or removed.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:07 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bennny
Nope, never had the battery come loose or removed.
You can take it in, but I say run it hard on an on-ramp and let it stretch its legs a little. Mine does the same 'duh-duh-duh' 4-5x and clears out when the adaptations are screwy. Just see if it clears itself out.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Was the motor stone cold when you experienced this? Mine stutters a little for a minute or two from cold if I put it under load until it gets a bit of head temp & then runs fine.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:45 AM
JK Newbie

Mine did the exact same thing for like two days close to 3000 miles. I changed the oil and now it does not do it anymore. Like you said it did it after 2nd gear. Weird?
Old 06-28-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
You can take it in, but I say run it hard on an on-ramp and let it stretch its legs a little. Mine does the same 'duh-duh-duh' 4-5x and clears out when the adaptations are screwy. Just see if it clears itself out.
Well, got in it this morning and put my foot into it a little through the shifts. It's almost completely gone. Only second to third has a tiny slug sometimes. I think my computer just went retarded for a bit, but since it's fixing itself i'm glad I don't have to take it to the toolership
Old 06-28-2010, 05:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Mine will do it with the A/C running if I'm not giving it enough gas between shifts or if the RPMs are too low.

Quick Reply: Help! Jeep is studdering through the shifts