Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help to identify (coolant?) leak [PICS]

Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help to identify (coolant?) leak [PICS]

When I destroyed my D30 housing slamming sideways into a rock I also developed a coolant (or so I think) leak, a very steady few drips per min leak. I wrote it off as probably the water pump gasket was possibly disturbed during the impact and would look into it once I sorted out the axle, as it's a cheap and easy fix.

Of course now that I had the time to take a closer look it doesn't appear to be the cheap and easy fix I had hoped for. I located the source or so I think, but really have no clue what this part is called, how to fix it or the best approach to get at it. My Google-Fu has not helped me at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	584456
This picture is below on the passenger side, I've circled where I believe the leak is coming from.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	584457
Here is a closer picture.

Can someone point in the right direction of how to fix this or where to find more information about this component.

Thank you.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It would be helpful if you told us what kind of engine we're looking at. I'm looking at the 3.8 service manual and not finding this component. Could be I'm just overlooking it, LOL. I don't have my own Jeep handy to go take a look at it and compare right now. Suggest you fill out your profile info to help in the future. :-)
Old 11-16-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Do you have an engine block heater? It could be that. Check out this diagram ...

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/s...ssembly=888401
Old 11-16-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
It would be helpful if you told us what kind of engine we're looking at. I'm looking at the 3.8 service manual and not finding this component. Could be I'm just overlooking it, LOL. I don't have my own Jeep handy to go take a look at it and compare right now. Suggest you fill out your profile info to help in the future. :-)
Ah yes, I forgot you crazy kids have the 3.6 these days But yes that's the good old 3.8.

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Do you have an engine block heater? It could be that. Check out this diagram ...
Yes I do, and from the diagram that looks like the location I am talking about. I haven't seen many threads about leaks from the block heater.

Last edited by gripthor; 11-16-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Help to identify (coolant?) leak [PICS]