Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help: Half Shaft Stuck to Hub Bearing

Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help: Half Shaft Stuck to Hub Bearing

Hey everyone. We're trying to replace my bearings, but the axle half shaft is completely seized onto the unit bearing. Any ideas how to separate the two? We've doused it with WD40 wherever the two parts meet and used a 3lb dead blow hammer - nothing works. Yes, the 36mm nut has been removed.

Just for clarification, I am *not* trying to remove the axle half shaft/bearing combo from the C and/or steering knuckle (I've seen lots of posts in various forums about how to do that). This has already been done. I am trying to remove the half shaft from the unit bearing.

I saw a hub puller online, but I am afraid that using it will force/press the half shaft into the gears/differential, and that it could result in damage. ***I would obviously have to put the half shaft back in place *but not secure it via bolts* to use this method. ***

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Dawn Marie

Last edited by OnBelay; 12-21-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:25 AM
JK Freak

Bumping for the morning thread.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to help but you are contradicting yourself in the post.

If you have the brake caliper and the 3 bolts holding in the bearing removed then the whole bearing and shaft will slide out of the housing.

If you do, all you have to do is remove the shaft then it is out of the housing and differential damage is not a factor.

Once you have the bearing and axle out just use a Big Hammer while supporting the bearing with blocks of some sort. (make sure to protect the threads from damage) It should not be stuck past the point of using a hammer but if so you will need to use a press. If a press is needed, you can easily take the bearing and axle to a mechanic shop by itself.

Last edited by toymaster; 12-21-2010 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a lot of problems getting my stub shaft out of the hub bearing after I broke my axle. I had to use a 20 Ton press and it fought me all the way out. If you already unbolted the hub bearing, why aren't you just pulling the whole axle out with it? I don't think you will do any damage to the carrier or locker beating the axle in. But you could possibly damage the seal if the axle keeps moving back and forth in the seal as you are trying to beat on it. Your best bet is to pull the axle, take to a shop that has a press and it would take about 3 minutes to get out of the hub.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OnBelay
,,,,,,,Just for clarification, I am *not* trying to remove the axle half shaft/bearing combo from the C and/or steering knuckle (I've seen lots of posts in various forums about how to do that). I am trying to remove the half shaft from the unit bearing......
-Dawn Marie
To be clear you do need to pull the bearing and shaft out of the "C". It is very easy and the proper way to do it. The axles just slides into the differential gears and is held into place by the wheel bearings. Hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:52 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yellow08rubicon
I had a lot of problems getting my stub shaft out of the hub bearing after I broke my axle. I had to use a 20 Ton press and it fought me all the way out. If you already unbolted the hub bearing, why aren't you just pulling the whole axle out with it? I don't think you will do any damage to the carrier or locker beating the axle in. But you could possibly damage the seal if the axle keeps moving back and forth in the seal as you are trying to beat on it. Your best bet is to pull the axle, take to a shop that has a press and it would take about 3 minutes to get out of the hub.
OK, thanks. That is what I am afraid I will have to do. I have the shaft and bearing completely pulled out of the axle tube, steering knuckle, and C (it's hanging from a ceiling joist in the garage so that WD40 can penetrate it vertically).

To the others who are confused about the puller and my aversion to damaging the gears, let me spell it out: I figured I could put the half shaft back in, hit the front locker (this would hold the shaft in place so I could radially torque against it), and then crank down on a hub puller. The three 13mm bolts and the 36mm nut would of course not be installed. I hope that made sense...but it looks like it's a moot point anyway.

Still open to suggestions, but it looks like I'll be taking it to get it pressed out. Where would I go for such a task?

Last edited by OnBelay; 12-21-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toymaster
To be clear you do need to pull the bearing and shaft out of the "C". It is very easy and the proper way to do it. The axles just slides into the differential gears and is held into place by the wheel bearings. Hope this helps.
Correct - the half shaft and bearing are completely removed from the Jeep (10 feet away at this point). I am trying to separate them from each other...
Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 AM
JK Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	20T%20Shop%20Press.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	111224

Any mechanic shop or machine shop will have one. If you do alot of this type work you might want to check into buying one. When I was doing my R&P this summer it more than paid for itself. I do a lot of work and a press is a must for a whole lot of tasks.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by toymaster
Attachment 111224

Any mechanic shop or machine shop will have one. If you do alot of this type work you might want to check into buying one. When I was doing my R&P this summer it more than paid for itself. I do a lot of work and a press is a must for a whole lot of tasks.
HAHA thanks - just what every girl wants for Christmas.

Nite!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try hitting the bearing/hub with a dead blow with a BFH. That's how I have done mine in the past- no press needed.

Quick Reply: Help: Half Shaft Stuck to Hub Bearing