Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help, cranks but will not start

Old 08-13-2023, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help, cranks but will not start

Hi all, new to the forum, 2015 Wrangler Sport with 128000 miles. Never had any serious issues till now. After driving all day, went out to start Jeep, but it would not turn over. Did the usual diagnostic testing, tied jumping the fuel pump really, no luck determined it was a bad fuel pump. changed fuel pump and it fired up, drove it for a couple of days with it issue then it would occasionally not start. Again after diagnosing the issues determined it was the fuel pump relay fuse was loose. I would remove the fuse and reinstall it and it would fire up. It even died once while driving. luckily there was no traffic and I was able to jump out and reseat the fuse. After doing this a few times I noticed the fuse was melting, did not blow , just the plastic casing was melting. After researching I determined the TIPM where the fuse inserts was bad and the fuse was making intermittent contact. I had the TIPM repaired, but the Jeep wont start , will crank and have spark but won’t turn over. Replaced the cam sensor still will not start. I’m at my wits end and before I end up taking it somewhere I thought I’d reach out here to see if anyone had any ideas.
  • TIPM seems to be working properly
  • there are no engine codes, however it can’t do a complete scan since I reset the TIPM and can not start the vehicle
  • Can hear fuel pump kick on when key is turned
  • tried “ resetting” the TIPM
  • pulled the IOD fuse and reseated it
  • pulled and checked all fuses
  • yes there is fuel lol
  • tried locking and unlocking the door to reset the security system
  • Key is coded, red security light turns off
Any and all help is much appreciated!
Old 08-14-2023, 03:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I would start by checking all your grounds. A bad ground can cause all kinds of weird issues in these Jeeps, more so than other vehicles in my experience. I had similar issues in my 2016, granted I didn't have any plastic melting. But the fuel pump would come on, and it would crank but not start. I replaced the battery terminals with clamping style. The OEM terminals have a wedge design, and can become less effective over time. Make sure the battery posts are spotless when you put it back together. I also ran a 0-gauge wire from one of the alternator mounting bolts to the negative of the battery. I haven't had any issues since doing these 2 things. I didn't have to do this, but it wouldn't hurt to track down all the grounding points on frame and body, and clean those up.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (08-14-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 09:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://f01.justanswer.com/dodgetech...1_No+crank.pdf
Old 09-17-2023, 02:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is doing this now. Not melting the fuse but it cut off on me driving down the road. Tried to restart and it just turned overs and over with out starting. Removed battery cable for 30 secs and it cranked up. It’s done it twice now, any ideas ?
Old 09-22-2023, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-codes-358974/

I had the same problem. Stalling while driving with no codes. After about 4 hours of diagnostic time (and $400 at a dealer). It turned out to be a loose connection in tipm connector. The fix was to buy a new connector or just have him solder the wire. I don't know which colored wire it was, but it fixed the problem.

Try to jiggle all the connectors and see if it will start.

My Jeep is a 2007 with 160,xxx miles. Garage queen.

Quick Reply: Help, cranks but will not start