Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help! Blown Engine!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since it seems like you didn't pull the dipstick once in 3000 miles how can you say they didn't fill your oil? Oil change places don't hire the most competent people, so if I do use them I make sure to check it after.
I'm surprised the oil light never came in, but it happens that way sometimes.
Maybe I'm paranoid, or am just used to it because I'm a truck driver and have a habit of checking my fluids regularly. Bottom line, it's your responsibility, but I'd still press Havoline to get some compensation. Good Luck.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Also i think a compression test would show bad rings / bad ring to wall seal.

If you are burning 6 Qts of oil you have to have a bad cylinder or several have sloppy clearances.

My compression test last summer showed 175psi-180psi all around for reference. I have an 09 that had 90,000 when I tested it.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Texas Sailor
This is scary to hear. I guess I really should throttle back before placing too many accusations on Havoline. Maybe they did put the oil in. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around my Jeep burning 6 QTS in 3,000 miles. It sounds insane.
I think its pretty safe to say your jeep is consuming oil at a very fast rate. there is no way possible to drive your jeep 3k miles with no oil in the engine. the way I see it and the way the oil change place see's it, is its the owners responsibility to check your oil every time you get gas (its even listed in the owners manual). if you don't its your fault and will be repaired on your dime. I know its a crappy situation but that's how it is, also its very possible to burn through 100qts of oil when the engines cylinder looks like and egg and the piston inside is completely round.

im very mindful of the oil in all my vehicles & even my lawn mower, im a GM mechanic so I see things like this on a regular basis. it sucks for the customer since most don't know anything other then to put gas in the vehicle and go. but ultimately its up to the owner to keep the vehicles in good running condition, I tell customers all the time to check their oil every time they fill up and some do and some don't. most that don't always end up coming back and spending money out of their own pockets.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father in law had a similar experience with Walmart oil change. He was only able to make it 200 miles before throwing a rod. 3000 miles seems like a stretch for riding with no oil. Anyways he fought long and hard to get them to cover it even though the technician admitted to forgetting to fill the engine with oil. Good luck with yours. I suggest you keep pursuing this bc they tried to bully him to accept partial reimbursement.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Huntphreak
I think timeline is going to be key here.

Date the ghost oil was put in AND the date you discovered a bent rod.

First question is did the pan have the plug in it? This would lock down that the oil was poured right through it.

I would present your case to Havoline and ask for a new engine and installation labor. They will likely send you off to contact "headquarters".

I would then write a letter detailing the reason for the requested new motor and installation labor.

When it come to this sort of thing, details are key. If they can't wiggle out of the liability it is cheaper to buy you a motor than go to court or arbitration.
February 20th was when the "Oil Change" was supposedly done. May 12th was when the rod was discovered. I have the paper-trail from Havoline showing that they have been the only ones who have done my oil changes, and there has been no previous indication during any prior service. The screw was in, and while that does confirm that eventually it was put on, I don't know that some numb-nuts didn't just put it back on for a reason known only to him.

I went to Havoline, and they said "Some engines can go through 6 qts of oil just burnin' it up. That noise will go away once the new oil works down into the lifters and rockers. It's completely safe to drive. I understand the scare, but it's nothing to worry about..."

I've filed a comprehensive claim through Geico against Havoline's Insurance Company. An adjuster is meeting with my mechanic to confirm his diagnosis. Engines can burn oil, but there would be a ton of evidence on the spark-plugs, and tail-pipe if my Jeep had burned 6 QTS in such a short time. I may end up eating a $500.00 deductible, but that sure beats paying 10x that for a new engine. Insane!
Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Billbikes
Since it seems like you didn't pull the dipstick once in 3000 miles how can you say they didn't fill your oil? Oil change places don't hire the most competent people, so if I do use them I make sure to check it after.
I'm surprised the oil light never came in, but it happens that way sometimes.
Maybe I'm paranoid, or am just used to it because I'm a truck driver and have a habit of checking my fluids regularly. Bottom line, it's your responsibility, but I'd still press Havoline to get some compensation. Good Luck.
You're absolutely right. I take responsibility for not checking it after they handed me the keys at Havoline. I didn't pull the dipstick, so I can't be sure that they actually didn't put oil back in it. And while I can't prove the exact amount that was in, there are plausible ways to eliminate other amounts without having pulled the dipstick. I know they didn't put 100 gallons in there. I know they couldn't have put 12 qts. The paperwork they handed me says they put 6 qts in at the time of the change. So, if they'd put six qts in, and a few thousand miles it's gone, with no evidence of a leak, and excessive coolant intake, what would we need to draw the conclusion that 6 qts was put in, but the engine just burned it up? Would there be any evidence for such an extreme case of oil usage? I don't know. I hear that there would definitly have been signs that my engine was burning through extreme amounts of oil. If there is no evidence for excessive oil consumption, but there is damage due to a lack of oil, is there enough on the table to conclude that some amount of oil may had been in the engine (even if residual), but it couldn't have been 6 QTS? It seems to follow logically, given the information avalable. But, I work on F-18s, I know more about them than I know about cars. I'm slowly getting a crash course the hard way...
Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

I'm so confused.

Stop Changing Your Oil! - Edmunds.com
Old 05-13-2014, 08:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Everyone on this and other forums who ran their engines dry of oil has also stated they don't check the oil level on a regular basis, if at all between oil changes. Some have even said they shouldn't have to.

To those readers who don't check the dip stick once in a while, there is something to be learned here. Just do it!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Texas Sailor
February 20th was when the "Oil Change" was supposedly done. May 12th was when the rod was discovered. I have the paper-trail from Havoline showing that they have been the only ones who have done my oil changes, and there has been no previous indication during any prior service. The screw was in, and while that does confirm that eventually it was put on, I don't know that some numb-nuts didn't just put it back on for a reason known only to him.

I went to Havoline, and they said "Some engines can go through 6 qts of oil just burnin' it up. That noise will go away once the new oil works down into the lifters and rockers. It's completely safe to drive. I understand the scare, but it's nothing to worry about..."

I've filed a comprehensive claim through Geico against Havoline's Insurance Company. An adjuster is meeting with my mechanic to confirm his diagnosis. Engines can burn oil, but there would be a ton of evidence on the spark-plugs, and tail-pipe if my Jeep had burned 6 QTS in such a short time. I may end up eating a $500.00 deductible, but that sure beats paying 10x that for a new engine. Insane!
just because its not on the tail pipe or back bumper doesn't mean the oil wasn't getting past the rings and going into the intake or not making it out to the tailpipe. GM had a similar issue with oil consumption, what happen was the PCV was getting clogged allowing the crank case to build pressure, well that pressure needed to relieve itself somewhere right? what happens was the oil would blow pas the rings and fill up the intake plenum, some would have no signs until the engine locked up and some where caught before hand. those that were caught were by the customers that check their oil on a regular basis or use a shop/dealership that will check oil level before they change the oil and inform the customer if it was low and see if the customer wants to investigate the problem if no leaks are present.

the place you use sounds like they change oil and that's it. someone making $8.00hr doesn't care and isn't properly trained to look for things like what I explained, they probably don't even check the oil level before changing it. its gonna be tough to prove the Havoline was at fault since you drove 3k miles before the problem ever occurred, I hope it works out for you but chances are you are going to have to shell out $500 and Geico will end up loosing the fight against the Havoline insurance. you will make out good but Geico is going to get the shaft lol

I had a similar situation and my dealership where a guy brought in his CTS for an oil change and drove to NY, well when he got to NC (6.5hrs away) the engine locked up. during his oil change we found the car was 1qrt low, we told him and he said ok and would look into it when he got back from NY. when the engine locked up we provided him a rental to finish his trip and we sent our tow truck to pick up the car from the Cadillac dealership so we could inspect the car ourselves. upon inspection we found that the intake tube was full of oil because of a bad PCV, no leaks or anything else was found. we ate the rental bill, the tow bill and even offered him a 25% discount on the engine and because im the shop foreman and get paid salary we werent going to charge him any labor, and he took as we were trying to "cover" up something. he ended up going to court and losing since he was notified about the oil being low and didn't want to diagnose the problem.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree there will be evidence of an engine using 6 quarts in 3 miles. Inspect spark plugs, compression test all cylinders, exhaust for residue. Loss of oil is either leaks or is burned.

Quick Reply: Help! Blown Engine!