Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help!!! Battery light issue

Old 10-15-2009, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Battery light issue

So the other day the red battery light comes on and goes away after i park and get back in. This goes on for a few days and today it totaly crapped out. got jumped and Jeep was not a happy bunny and eventuly threw the power train light and i had to pull over. I got a optima yellow top and problem went away for an hour or two then came back on the way home. Tested the output on the Alt it is around 14v, I have a Ripp supercharger too not sure if thats an issue

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Stock battery is crap. Your not the first one who have to change the stock battery after 2 years...
Old 10-15-2009, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

did you get the alternator professionally checked? sounds like the alternator to me. There's more than just volts. 14 volts is kinda high. If it's not puttin out any or much amperage, that will cause the voltage to spike and your battery to die.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by briteod
So the other day the red battery light comes on and goes away after i park and get back in. This goes on for a few days and today it totaly crapped out. got jumped and Jeep was not a happy bunny and eventuly threw the power train light and i had to pull over. I got a optima yellow top and problem went away for an hour or two then came back on the way home. Tested the output on the Alt it is around 14v, I have a Ripp supercharger too not sure if thats an issue

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If anything - when you installed your supercharger kit you had to relocate your battery - to do so one of the steps was to extend the battery cables - make sure those connections are solid, if they are weak your charge won't go to the battery, possibly - prematurly wearing it.

Or

Your battery took a crap -

RIPPTECH
Old 10-16-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

....but there's a REASON TWO batteries took a crap. He's already said his old one went to hell. then he replaced it with a yellow top and it died, too. I smell a bad alternator.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
....but there's a REASON TWO batteries took a crap. He's already said his old one went to hell. then he replaced it with a yellow top and it died, too. I smell a bad alternator.
Right - it could be over charging also - if the voltage regulator is bad - which I believe is in the TPM you'd end up with the same cause and effect.

RIPPTECH
Old 10-16-2009, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

The new Optima is still good tomorrow we pulling the wiring open to check the connection on the extensions. A buddy said he had a similar problem with a butt conection on another truck causing the same problem so if that dont fix it then we are wondering if one of the conections to the ECU plugs is bad so we might check all of them over again if none of that then the stealership can look at the alternator. I know they are going to trow a poop fit over the supercharger and try to say it made the alt bad and make me pay for it. If that happens i am ready for a good fight
Old 10-18-2009, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

All fixed now We got to the conections for the two positive extensions and found that they had touched the blower and melted all the insulation off the butt conections, at one point one of them welded to the blower casing so it was creatng a short we reinsulated then and secured them down so thay cant ever move again i hope

Thanks for all your help until the next weird jeep light/noise/problem
Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Right - it could be over charging also - if the voltage regulator is bad - which I believe is in the TPM you'd end up with the same cause and effect.

RIPPTECH
I too am having this issue, got left hi and dry on the roadside. I've got the ripp, did a resistance check before it went to the dealership, my battery cables (and extensions) are fine. I think it's the voltage reg. waiting for the phone call from the dealership to know for sure. They also told me that was located in the PCM, so we'll see how much this will run. By the way RIPP, that SC you guys sold me is awesome! Thanks!
Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

14 volts isn't too much. its suppose to put out 14.4 volts

Quick Reply: Help!!! Battery light issue