Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help!!!! Anyone know how to disconect the TIPM

Old 08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!! Anyone know how to disconect the TIPM

I just got a used TIPM due to some complications with my factory one.I got the tipm unit out of it's tray, but I cant figure out how to disconect the electrical harnesses underneath. Here's a picture.

having trouble with the white harnesses like the white/green one on the right
Click image for larger version

Name:	tipm.jpg
Views:	1348
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	349093
Old 08-03-2012, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the green connector, the red tab needs to be pushed straight forward (torwards the TIPM) of the connector, and the SOME force is required to get the latch open. I spent alot of time staring at the little pieces to understand how they work. Not part of the harness you want to damage.

On a side note, on the initial power up of the TIPM, it pulls VIN info from the PCM and Vehicle Configuration info from the CCN, so a used TIPM may require a reprogram from the dealer...

From the Factory Service manual:

"The original Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) must be installed and functioning properly prior to powering up the new Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The TIPM receives vehicle configuration data from the CCN and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) information from the PCM. If configuration information becomes lost or corrupted, the data can be obtained from DealerCONNECT "

Last edited by Blakspire; 08-03-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

On a side note, on the initial power up of the TIPM, it pulls VIN info from the PCM and Vehicle Configuration info from the CCN, so a used TIPM may require a reprogram from the dealer...

From the Factory Service manual:

"The original Cabin Compartment Node (CCN) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) must be installed and functioning properly prior to powering up the new Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). The TIPM receives vehicle configuration data from the CCN and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) information from the PCM. If configuration information becomes lost or corrupted, the data can be obtained from DealerCONNECT "[/QUOTE]

I was afraid someone was going to say that. I might just hold off and take it to a dealer. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by phillybaggett
I was afraid someone was going to say that. I might just hold off and take it to a dealer. Thanks for the info.
Ive never experiemented with a used TIPM, so its just a hypothetical. Curious, what did you pick up a used one for?
Old 08-03-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blakspire

Ive never experiemented with a used TIPM, so its just a hypothetical. Curious, what did you pick up a used one for?
Ebay. 20 bucks + 8.00 shipping(150 buy it now) but i was the lowest and only bidder. It could be a bust, but the guy said he was rebuilding his engine and no longer needed it, and all his feedback was positive.So i'll see
Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Ebay. 20 bucks + 8.00 shipping(150 buy it now) but i was the lowest and only bidder. It could be a bust, but the guy said he was rebuilding his engine and no longer needed it, and all his feedback was positive.So i'll see
Well even if it costs 200 to program(which i doubt) you still come out 300 ahead of the game. I paid 547 for mine brand new.

Good luck, i'm curious to see how this turns out, keep us posted.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blakspire
Good luck, i'm curious to see how this turns out, keep us posted.
So I call around to local dealers in my area,and as expected, I get a number of different quotes and answers from the dealers($150,$200,used tipm will not work,..........). I finally get a hold of one mechanic who says a used tipm will work, but depending on how it was programmed it may not work at all or it may work fine.He also said when installing a used tipm no programming is required. Hearing this, I decided to try the replacement myself. After about 45-60 min. I had the old on off and the new one in. Turns out the mechanic I talked to knew what he was talking about. The jeep cranks but not all of my electronics function. The headlights,brake lights ,turn signals all work fine, but my radio and my interior lights no longer work. My ESP warning light, airbag light, and flashing sway bar message are constantly displayed on the dash (along with a message that says No Fuse). Oh yeah, and my speedometer stops working after about a minute of driving.

Am I 100% satisfied....of coarse not
But I don't believe the jeep will ever die on me unexpectedly again. So my mind definately feels at peace.
I will buy a new tipm after I get new tires. So, in the long run I am actually somewhat happy with this $28 temporary fix
Old 08-09-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!
So I put in my new/used TIPM and I still have issues.So I start googling JK NO FUSE message, and what do you know....I get led back to this site.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...solved-131317/
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Jk is fully functional and running normal.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!
So I put in my new/used TIPM and I still have issues.So I start googling JK NO FUSE message, and what do you know....I get led back to this site.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...solved-131317/
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

Jk is fully functional and running normal.
Thats awesome!!! Bump for all the guys waiting on new replacements!!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That original thread deserves a bump and props. Nobody bothered responding to it.

Quick Reply: Help!!!! Anyone know how to disconect the TIPM