Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

HELP 4wd Won't engage

Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 4wd Won't engage

So... At the beach (entrance) reached down and grabbed the handle to engage 4wd and it wouldn't budge... so i gave it a good yank and it moved to 4-HI but didn't engage, it won't go back to 2-HI and will not engage in 4-LO. Think I might have broke something in the console. Hopefully not in the guts of the transfer case. What are ya'll thoughts?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read on here in other posts that the plastic connectors at the ends of the cable break off making it not engage the xfer case.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

yes it very common, you have to be gentle putting it in 4 low or 4 hi.. good news is its cheap to fix
Old 05-30-2011, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by genesbro
I have read on here in other posts that the plastic connectors at the ends of the cable break off making it not engage the xfer case.
I hope so, I will tear into the console my next day off (Thursday).
Old 05-30-2011, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

its usally comes apart underneath at the transfer case,
Old 05-30-2011, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by genesbro
Exactly. This happens over time as well. I was on the trail and my buddies rattled loose. We pulled the council apart and managed to get everything connected again, but if you yanked on it you could have broke the connectors ( or one of them). It's no biggie! You can also put it in gear with a pair of pliers by pulling the cable. Good luck!

Last edited by GreenJK07; 05-30-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP 4wd Won't engage