Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help!!! 2012 JKU Showing Signs of Rust

Old 05-13-2012, 01:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmos_Blue
So.. I rescheduled my appointment at the dealership to have my Jeep detailed so I could try to do it myself first. I started with a clay bay (first time) and it was pulling a lot of stuff out but wasn't getting rid of the rust spots. I was getting frustrated. I really didn't want to have my hood and grill painted. After using the clay bar on my hood and grill I used Meguires cleaner wax. I noticed when I was removing the wax, if I rubbed harder the rust was coming up. I put another layer of cleaner wax on and spent a lot of time rubbing the spots out. I got most of them up. I now know that repeat waxes should remove them completely. I finished with a coat of Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0.

I didn't clay the entire jeep, but put a good coat of cleaner wax and NXT on it. The paint is SMOOTH!!!

Now, time to get it dirty tomorrow.

Thanks for your post with tips! Saved me an unwanted paint job.
I never tried a clay bar before. Guess it's time to put that in my arsenal of weapons.
Cleaner wax is good stuff but it can also take paint off. Don't rub too hard :-)

Quick Reply: Help!!! 2012 JKU Showing Signs of Rust