Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

help?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any Results?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

haven't had anybody get under there yet but once I do I will let you know! if that's it what do I do about it? if that's not it what's next on the checking list
Old 10-13-2011, 10:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by j33p4life
haven't had anybody get under there yet but once I do I will let you know! if that's it what do I do about it? if that's not it what's next on the checking list
First need you to post the results of the test where you observe the pulley while someone turns the AC on/off.

You can see what needs to be seen by looking down at the pulley with the hood open. I tried it on mine before I posted.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

If you open the hood and watch, I suggest wearing safety glasses. Safety glasses save our asses!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

ok when I turned it on it seemed to turn fine! and then when I turned it off it stopped. like it should? with the engine running and ac off it didn't turn. with ac on the bolts turned! so seems fine. but idk why it did that before?
Old 10-14-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Super Freak

ok when I turned it on it seemed to turn fine! and then when I turned it off it stopped. like it should? with the engine running and ac off it didn't turn. with ac on the bolts turned! so seems fine. but idk why it did that before?
From what you saw, its hard to figure there is something wrong with the AC, yet the noise and smoke/steam happened.

- If the clutch were shot, the pulley with the bolts should not turn.
- If the refrigerant had leaked out it should not turn.
- If the compressor were locked up it should not turn.

I've heard the clutch/compressor make that strange noise if it is turned on when it hasn't run for a while, but never seen any smoke or steam. Is it possible the smoke/steam is a coincidence that came from somewhere else?

If the AC had not run for a while, maybe (just maybe) the compressor was somehow tight and did not want to turn right away, and then it broke loose. (Not a good sign!) The belt could have smoked a bit while that happened.

The lubricant for the compressor is mixed with the refrigerant. If the refrigerant were low, but not low enough to stop the clutch from engaging, then the comrpressor might have been hard to turn. That's why the system has a pressure switch to keep the clutch from engaging when the refrigerant has leaked out. Takes an AC tech to determine if it is low.

Does the AC produce cold air in the Jeep when the AC is on?

If you don't get cold air in the Jeep, it will probably take an AC tech to figure out why. First thing he will do is check the refrigerant and look for leaks.

I guess you didn't find any broken tubing or hoses?
Old 10-14-2011, 03:27 PM
JK Newbie

no I didn't! it does go out cold air! could it have just been cold? we had a week of cold weather then went warm again. so maybe that's it? idk it hasn't had any problems since so I'll play with it while driving tonight and let you know if it runs weird. its weird it's running fine!
Old 10-14-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

no I didn't! it does go out cold air! could it have just been cold? we had a week of cold weather then went warm again. so maybe that's it? idk it hasn't had any problems since so I'll play with it while driving tonight and let you know if it runs weird. its weird it's running fine!
Seems like its gonna be a wait-and-see-what-happens sort of deal. Lots of time to keep an eye on it before the hot weather returns.

Quick Reply: help?