Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

help?

Old 10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, go down and left. It'll be on the pump. May have to get under the Jeep.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

that? towards the bottom there seems to be something missing?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2355999017.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	222728  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Bingo! That's it! That's your air conditioning compressor. What seems to be missing? Hard to see it in good detail on my phone. I'm sure what's missing is your issue.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

I'm not sure but looks like a tube could connect here?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2457629934.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	222730  
Old 10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks like your problem....if I'm correct that bracket is all wet or oily, correct?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Super Freak

In the mean time, I'd check for hanging open hoses.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:00 PM
-

No tube going to that unless I have a problem too. Just took a peak under the old girl and mine looks the same. Guessing it's something else.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by j33p4life
so I turned the air conditioning on yesterday and then turned it off. it made a noise like something was trying to work for like 5 seconds. then went away. I then turned the air conditioning on for like 5 seconds then off. made the same noise. trying to figure it out I turned it on then odd again and. bunch if steam/ smoke or something came out from the bottom of the jeep. right behind the front driver side tire. I hope this isn't bad. I have left my air conditioning off and been fine. it runs normal. o and after the steam/smoke. I think steam. the engine temp was hot but quickly cooled. if anyone knows anything please help me out! it runs normal still! thanks!
I had a Ford AC do something similar when it was new. The AC compressor froze up, so when I turned the AC on the belt screamed in protest and threw some smoke. Turned out Ford forgot the lubricant in a bunch of AC systems that year.

Maybe you have figured out that you have a broken line by now. If not, make this test: With one person in the Jeep and someone else with eyes on the compressor, turn the AC on and watch the compressor. If it is locked up, you may see the belt slip or jump, and possibly see some smoke.

If nothing dramatic happens with the above test, then note that with the engine running and the AC off, the AC pulley does not look like its turning, but with the AC on the bolts on the front of the pulley should spin. If the front of the pulley does not spin it, either means the compressor clutch is shot or the AC system is out of refrigerant. (The clutch won't engage if the system is out of refrigerant.)

This should get you one step closer to knowing what is wrong.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ZMagic97
Looks like your problem....if I'm correct that bracket is all wet or oily, correct?
yep wet and oily...
Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Freewill

I had a Ford AC do something similar when it was new. The AC compressor froze up, so when I turned the AC on the belt screamed in protest and threw some smoke. Turned out Ford forgot the lubricant in a bunch of AC systems that year.

Maybe you have figured out that you have a broken line by now. If not, make this test: With one person in the Jeep and someone else with eyes on the compressor, turn the AC on and watch the compressor. If it is locked up, you may see the belt slip or jump, and possibly see some smoke.

If nothing dramatic happens with the above test, then note that with the engine running and the AC off, the AC pulley does not look like its turning, but with the AC on the bolts on the front of the pulley should spin. If the front of the pulley does not spin it, either means the compressor clutch is shot or the AC system is out of refrigerant. (The clutch won't engage if the system is out of refrigerant.)

This should get you one step closer to knowing what is wrong.
ok thank you! I will try that tomorrow! I hope I'll get it figured out! but if not winter is coming up so I'm fine! haha and i bet I could get the steam/smoke to happen again and I could video it if that'd help u see what's going on so you can help me. but I'll try that! thanks!

Quick Reply: help?