Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Heater controls in 2011.. Is the mixer temp sensitive?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater controls in 2011.. Is the mixer temp sensitive?

Seems like I can't select the dash vents until the vehicle is well warmed up.. Is this possible or are my controls FUBAR? The foot well heat works fine on both sides regardless of the temps.

It hasn't been terribly cold here so I can't really confirm..
Old 02-06-2012, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

It seem to me its a result of cheap plastic parts that are sensitive to cold..my 07 does the same thing and to avoid them breaking I don't turn them until its warm... mine specifically is the full defrost and full face heat...both at the ends of the dial...I know its not what you want to hear but I don't think anything is broken its just how they are...at least for me.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Not the ideal answer, but it gets me closer to understanding.. Like you, the one that doesn't work is full crank to the left.. The fascia vents. Fortunately the footwells work good and cold air blasting in my face early in the morning isn't the best thing.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

My 2011 does the same thing, dealer was no help, I am used to it now, I just deal with it...
Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikekiM
Seems like I can't select the dash vents until the vehicle is well warmed up.. Is this possible or are my controls FUBAR? The foot well heat works fine on both sides regardless of the temps.

It hasn't been terribly cold here so I can't really confirm..
I know the '12s are slightly different, but if I set the right knob to anything but auto, it pushes cold air exactly as I have the dial set, even if it might be frigid cold air before the Jeep has warmed up. It does tend to not blow much air until at least 1/4 warm according to the gauge cluster, if left on auto for blower. I have the automatic climate control, if it makes a difference.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Ah.. auto climate control... I miss that.

So, I guess I have to live with it. Not a huge issue, but this morning I really needed the defroster to work and that did not come on until halfway through my drive in..
Old 02-09-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the windshield defrost you could do the washer fluid mod that is on here somewhere. I would find it for you but the search isn't working right now. Easy mod, extend and wrap the washer fluid hose around the upper radiator hose.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

thanks.. I know that mod.

It would have shortened the defrost time this morning, but still would have had to wait for things to heat up...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

The delay for hot fluid is a downfall but there is something to be said about the looks you get when you are cleaning your windshield on a cold day with all of the steam and mist.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Strange i have an 11 and can switch heater settings whenever i want. even on 0 degree morning. I would try talking to your dealer about it.

Quick Reply: Heater controls in 2011.. Is the mixer temp sensitive?