Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Heater Air Temperature

Old 02-23-2020, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Heater Air Temperature

My Jeep is a 2013 Two Door MOAB with the Climate Control set-up.
EDIT: 80K on it.

Lately is seems to NOT be blowing very warm air when first started.
The Temp gauge is up on the line where it always is when warmed up.
Later in the day when it is warmer outside it seems to be blowing a little warmer air. Still not hot.
Any insight on this issue?

Bob R

Last edited by Bob Roach; 02-23-2020 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:12 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

There is no water valve for the heater core. Water flows through it all the time the engine is running.

Your problem could be a stuck blend door, a bad blend door actuator, clogged core, or low coolant level. Could also be a bad HVAC control panel.

First thing I would do is see if the blend door actuator moves when you select different temperature setting. There are quite a few threads here that will show where to look.
Check both heater hoses at the fire wall to see if both are hot.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-23-2020 at 06:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 06:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you for the feed back. That gives me a place to start looking before a shop visit.

Bob R
Old 02-27-2020, 08:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had mentioned to my wife a few times that the heater was not blowing very warm air. She keeps telling me that it is working just fine.
This last Tuesday I had an eye exam where they put some stuff in my eyes that messed up my vision for a while. I let the wife drive me home. Guess what I discovered? The heater is working just fine on the passenger side.
With air blowing hard from all dash ducts, and the temperature being much lower on the drivers side. From my reading this is a classic heater core starting to plug with casting sand issue.
I believe I have isolated the problem. This late in the Winter I can probably put off the heater core change out until late Summer.

Bob R
Old 03-02-2020, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Roach
I had mentioned to my wife a few times that the heater was not blowing very warm air. She keeps telling me that it is working just fine.
This last Tuesday I had an eye exam where they put some stuff in my eyes that messed up my vision for a while. I let the wife drive me home. Guess what I discovered? The heater is working just fine on the passenger side.
With air blowing hard from all dash ducts, and the temperature being much lower on the drivers side. From my reading this is a classic heater core starting to plug with casting sand issue.
I believe I have isolated the problem. This late in the Winter I can probably put off the heater core change out until late Summer.

Bob R
Unfortunately, that's a symptom of all heater related problems on the JK and does not automatically mean it is a clogged HC, although that is a common problem. The 1st thing to check is to ensure your coolant system is filled to the top, and burped to make sure all air is out of it. That's the easiest thing to check and fix and will give the same problem symptom you described.

Quick Reply: Heater Air Temperature