Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Headlights

Old 09-07-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by w squared
A place called Susquehanna motor sports will sell you a complete plug and play kit including:

Hella H4 lights and bulbs
Heavy gauge wiring harness (completely plug and play)
Relays

I've had mine for the better part of a year and love it. It is a night and day improvement. It's also an easy install.
Greetings,
Do u have any pics u can post of what the lights look like when on ?
TIA
Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack this thread but is there a bulb change for the fogs on an 09 as well?? and what is the number?
Thanks.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by kingteddybear
I have a set of the IPF H-4's with the bluish bulbs from the original lot, much improved lighting pattern but appeared dimmer overall than the Silver Stars in the stock housings to my eyes. ...
Sunday morning while with a group on the way to Disney, OK, I drove up beside Interceptor_1972 to compare headlights. We both have the IPFs, but he has the original blue bulbs, while I opted to replace the blue bulbs that came with mine. I bought the cheapest Sylvania halogen bulb I could find at the auto parts store--$20 for a pair. There's a chart on the back of Sylvania bulbs that shows four different lines of bulbs (a couple of them being Silverstars, and then whatever). These are rated lowest of the bulbs on the back of the chart. My primary reason for replacing the bulbs was I don't care for the blue.

Anyway, the light output from my headlights was obviously greater than that from Interceptor's blue bulbs. Mine had a distinctive yellow tint while his appeared quite white (looking from behind the lamp at what it's illuminating, not at the lamp directly). But, regardless of what you may hear about blue bulb making it easier to see at night, I completely disagree. They absolutely do not. Those $60-80 bulbs are NOT worth the money you're paying for them.

Stock housings: On the way back I did the same thing with Jiz Nim, except he has stock bulbs and housings. There is no comparison. The beam pattern from the stock housings sucks bad, and replacing the bulbs, even with an $80 bulb, will NOT fix that.

Bottom line: The most cost effective answer is the IPF lamp assemblies with white bulbs. I did not have a set of the white bulbs that Northridge now offers, so can't comment on that. But, when it comes time to replace your bulbs, get the cheapest Sylvania bulbs and I think you'll be quite pleased.

BTW: Here's a picture after the sun came up Sunday morning (just thought I'd throw this in 'cuz it's such a pretty sight) ...

Photo by Ryen.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the IPF conversion and LOVE them...so much better than stock, and the grill is very easy to get off to swap the lights. Took about 15 minutes.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Ive got these Deltas from Quadratec and love them.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_301.htm
Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running the Daniel Stern setup for almost a year now. That is the Cibie E-code lenses with the upgraded and relayed Susquehanna H-4 conversion harness. I am using the GE Nighthawk Platinum bulbs, which are far and away better than the silverstars. I have found this setup great and completely trouble free. Lighting output is much better than stock and the e-codes light up the signage at the side of the road very nicely. I also have four KC 8" HID's that bring the daylight, but for times when I can't run them the Daniel Stern setup works like a charm.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

Installed IPF with blue bulb last night, much better than stock and the pattern is vastly improved. IPF on photo left (passenger side) and stock on photo right (drivers side).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1..jpg
Views:	84
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	88607  
Old 09-14-2010, 01:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

The e-codes and other halogen conversions are a great improvement over stock.. but when it boils down to it, HID plus a quality projector is the way to go.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/members/spore-23653-albums-projector-retrofit-4815/

I still owe pics of the beam pattern, but I can tell you right now, this retrofit made the hella e-codes look like stock in comparison.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ghost63
I put the Silverstars in mine a few months ago. I work grave shift so I am always driving in the dark. They were an improvement over stock, but still leave a lot to be desired.
Total agree with you on the Silverstars, the improvement is OK at best.

Quick Reply: Headlights