Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Headlights

Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tag for future reference
Old 09-05-2010, 06:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A place called Susquehanna motor sports will sell you a complete plug and play kit including:

Hella H4 lights and bulbs
Heavy gauge wiring harness (completely plug and play)
Relays

I've had mine for the better part of a year and love it. It is a night and day improvement. It's also an easy install.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also recommend the rallylights setup. I have it and it blows my girlfriend's IPF setup away. The problem is that the IPFs are a better lens, but the rallylights kit comes with a wiring harness that is what provides the beefy boost in output. I plan on rigging up a harness for my woman soon.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jk1701
What is a great set of replacement headlights so that you only have to change the bulbs in the future rather than the whole assembly?
??Stock headlights while they may suck ass they do have a replaceable bulb. It is an H13 by design in order to remove the bulb you have to remove the grill and entire headlight housing.
But yes they do suck
Old 09-05-2010, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

I have a set of the IPF H-4's with the bluish bulbs from the original lot, much improved lighting pattern but appeared dimmer overall than the Silver Stars in the stock housings to my eyes. A portion of my commute to work includes 10 miles of 2 lane narrow black top complete with free range cattle and ferrel hogs 1-1/2 hours before daylight. Google Susquehanna Motor Sports for their Hella H4 conversion w/ harness. Google Daniel Stern Lighting for his Cibie H4 conversion w/ harness. From what I have read online Stern supplies the Susquehanna harness with his Cibie 7" housings.

Price wise cheapest to most expensive:
Silver Stars
IPF H-4's
Susquehanna Hella
Stern Cibie

I'm leaning toward the Stern Cibie's over the Hella's simply because I installed a set of Cibie Z-Beam sealed beam headlights on a Toyota FJ-40 back in 1980 and loved them.

You will find a bunch of positive comments on the IPF H-4's, including my own, I just came to prefer the Silver Stars but I don't consider them a final solution either. Just my two centavos

Last edited by kingteddybear; 09-05-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also recommend the IPF kit from Northridge. I put mine in last week and they look great. The "bugeye" look of the stock headlights is gone, and the light pattern is so much better than stock. I have the blue bulbs and they seem to work fine. I just have to fine tune the aiming once I get some time. The install only took a couple minutes and is simple plug and play.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:53 AM
kik
JK Freak

I listened to Hilldweller and went with the Phillips + 80's. They work great. Completely satisfied.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

i got these with the Delta Fogs. Lots of haters on this fourm but these rock. 100% improvment over the stock ones
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sept 5 1020 065..jpg
Views:	98
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	86954  
Old 09-06-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth:

I have a pair of 100 watt VisionX halogen driving lights on my bumper. They.re wired into the high beam circuit so that they're convenient to use on the road. When I had the stock headlights, those driving lights were a lifesaver. Compared to the light put out by the stock high beams, those VisionX 100 watt lamps seemed like daylight!

Now that I've got the Hella H4's in place with the heavier harness, I can't even tell that the driving lights are on. They don't make any appreciable difference , simply because the combo of the Hella H4's (running a standard 55W bulb) and the improved harness is so good.

Lucky for me, I was able to alter the point of aim on the driving lights, and I am now using them for fill on the left and right shoulders of the road. I am not sure that I will be able to continue doing that once the snow is on the gorund, but for now it seems to work well.

I guess that means that I have to go buy some 8 inch HID long-range lights now.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

my vote is the rallylights (susquehanna) setup. I've had mine for 2 years and I spent a little more for the upgraded hella 100w bulbs with the 1 year guarantee...and they are bright. Very bright and way better then stock
replaced them just before the 1 year guarantee was up without an issue. good guys there and pretty knowledgable...

Quick Reply: Headlights