Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Headlight Bulb Install help!

Old 01-10-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Bulb Install help!

I have a headlight out. Bought replacement bulbs.

Is there a trick to easily install?? Seems like I have to remove the windshield squitter tank on one side and the power steering tank tank on the other. There is no way I can squeeze my hands in never mind get the bulb out!!

Any suggestions before I tear the whole engine out to get to them? POS *&#%$ thing! I have all the room in the world when I did my in my Wife's Liberty this past summer!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Taking the front facia off takes literally 30 seconds. U just use a flat head to pop up the black tabs. Turn them and pull up and the pop out then pull back on the facia and it pops off. I have changed lights and turn signals. It is the easiest way.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Real easy. Just upgraded mine. You need to take off the front plastic grill. Remove Screw plugs on top first. Then pull grill forward. Bottom.is held in by fasteners. You will need a small size star driver to remove headlights. Not sure what size. No need to realign. They are set.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stonewhite08
Real easy. Just upgraded mine. You need to take off the front plastic grill. Remove Screw plugs on top first. Then pull grill forward. Bottom.is held in by fasteners. You will need a small size star driver to remove headlights. Not sure what size. No need to realign. They are set.
I believe it is a t-15 torx
Old 01-10-2012, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you don't want to pull the grill you can pull the air box, (one hose clamp, Pcv hose and it lifts out), and the horn on the pass. side (1 13mm bolt). This sounds harder to do than pulling the grill but its not.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah.....OK. Pulled Grill. Done. It is a T-15 FYI on the lights.

Easy? Yes.
PITA? yes. Took 7 mins tops.

Was hoping for open hood, unplug, plug and done like every other car / SUV I have owned.

Thanks guys for your advice.

Last edited by EClass; 01-10-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by svt2224
if you don't want to pull the grill you can pull the air box, (one hose clamp, pcv hose and it lifts out), and the horn on the pass. Side (1 13mm bolt). This sounds harder to do than pulling the grill but its not.
x2. This is what i did when i put in the silverstars, and it look about 5 extra minutes. Funny, with all that empty space in the engine bay, they sure did a good job of jamming everything right behind the headlights!

Quick Reply: Headlight Bulb Install help!