Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Are You Having Trouble Shifting The Transfer Case:
INTO 4-Lo only?
22.58%
INTO 4-Hi only?
1.08%
INTO 4-Lo & 4-Hi?
4.30%
OUT of 4-Lo only?
4.30%
OUT of 4-Hi only?
2.15%
OUT of 4-Lo & 4-Hi?
3.23%
NO!
62.37%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Having Trouble Shifting Into 4WD?

Old 10-17-2009, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happened to me this afternoon. Plastic bushing crapped out on me and is somewhere in the mud in the middle of Kansas.

Luckily, if you can get the 2 bars locked back together by hand, the driver can "gently" adjust the transfer case to the needed setting.

I thought I was going to be stuck in 4lo with a 3hr drive ahead of me. I recalled seeing this thread but couldn't remember how to fix it. Wish I would have thought of the zip tie.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Rubicon Super Stiff - I'm withholding my vote until I can break it in some.

I have only tried to go into 4-Low twice on my new car using the owners manuals method. Going into HI and LOW both times was really stiff. I would say that it was about like picking up a 24 pack of cokes. Way more pressure then I was really thinking it should take. I sure hope it loosens up some. I know about the clip so I was trying to put a stead pressure while slowly rolling. I ended up grinding into 4-Low both times.

QUESTION 1) about how much pressure are you guys using to shift into 4WD after it is broken in some.
QUESTION 2 about 6-Speeds) are you guys using the clutch to go into 4-HI. It doesn't say you have to like 4-Low. I was clutching thinking it couldn't hurt anything.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rooster76
I have only tried to go into 4-Low twice on my new car using the owners manuals method. Going into HI and LOW both times was really stiff. I would say that it was about like picking up a 24 pack of cokes. Way more pressure then I was really thinking it should take. I sure hope it loosens up some. I know about the clip so I was trying to put a stead pressure while slowly rolling. I ended up grinding into 4-Low both times.

QUESTION 1) about how much pressure are you guys using to shift into 4WD after it is broken in some.
QUESTION 2 about 6-Speeds) are you guys using the clutch to go into 4-HI. It doesn't say you have to like 4-Low. I was clutching thinking it couldn't hurt anything.
If you stop calling it a car it might work... Jk jk. So your making sure your in neutral before you try to shift it right? How easy is it going into 4hi? Neutral?

sent via SPLOOGE!!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

I tried to put my 2012 into 4Hi the other day and it was such a bitch, I gave up. It felt like I was going to snap the lever off. I noticed there is play to the right. Am I supposed to pull it straight back, or slightly to the right, then back? I read the manual and it just said straight back.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ms5490renegade
If you stop calling it a car it might work... Jk jk. So your making sure your in neutral before you try to shift it right? How easy is it going into 4hi? Neutral?

sent via SPLOOGE!!
I only call my Jeep a car when I'm trying to scold it .

Basically it is like picking up a 24 case of cokes to move it into 4-Hi or 4-Low. I sort of expected it to be a bit stiff, but more like a 6-pack stiff. Too be fair this Jeep is brand new and probably only has been shifted into 4WD twice by me.

I've got a Manual Transmission,from what I can make out in the user manual is that putting it into N is just a auto thing for going into 4-Low vs using the clutch in a 6-Speed? I will give it a shot though and see if it helps along with using the clutch. Going into 4-Low at 2-5 MPG is a bit of a challenge in and of itself as far a 4-Low goes. Sticking it into neutral is going to be yet another challenge in that little dance.

Originally Posted by lolpetewtf
I tried to put my 2012 into 4Hi the other day and it was such a bitch, I gave up. It felt like I was going to snap the lever off. I noticed there is play to the right. Am I supposed to pull it straight back, or slightly to the right, then back? I read the manual and it just said straight back.
4HI is just straight back. Then it will hit a ridge to stop you from going into 4-Low. To get into 4-Low you push it over about 1/2 an inch and pull back. It will naturally glide back over to the left. In my case hear a bid of nasty grinding and then it pops in.

EDIT :: After a few times using 4-Low it became very easy to use and not overly stiff.

Last edited by Rooster76; 09-23-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Having Trouble Shifting Into 4WD?