Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Having my transmission replaced!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back at the dealership today because there has been a rattling sound when driving for the last few weeks on and off. There's also a screeching sound that sounds like a fan belt occasionally. It kills me to be driving an 08 and it sounds like a broken down old car. We'll see what happens. I get scared because I'm thinking of selling this thing early next year and I hope these issues don't deter someone from buying it.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by undertow119
Not true anymore. In an old mechanically linked transmission, yes. In our modern, elecronically controlled transmissions, no. If you shift into reverse while moving forward, the computer senses that your forward speed is too high, and will not engage reverse gear until your forward speed drops to near 0.

How do I know this? Well, I was driving along the highway while my wife was...uh...ummm...ahem...resting her head "affectionately" in my lap....and she leaned on the shifter and knocked it into reverse. At 70 mph. Nothing happened. It just felt like it was in Neutral. So I shifted it back into Drive, and we both went on about our business. Both me and my transmission were very happy.
I just spit mt dew all over my laptop.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sharrko
I am having this problem. With under 1000 miles on the jeep, when i shift on reverse when on hill it rattles and shakes.
I am going to the dealer soon.
First i need to put on the 16" original tires so they won't void the warranty because of the 18" i have on now.
Will let you know how thing go in the dealer.
16" and 18" tires are pretty small Haha , you mean rim size? They can't bust your chops on any rim size if your tires are stock height.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

Default Transmission out

Well, today i went for oil change and asked the dealer to check my transmission because of the shaking when on reverse. They gave me the rental and called 6 hours later.......new transmission. Should be ready in 2 days.
Now i guess my jeep is truly worthless. 4x2, now with a replaced transmission @12,000 miles. Great.
At least they are trying to take care of it and did not give me any runaround.
I guess i will never sell it now.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IPvFletch
I'm going to tell you what caused that and then I'm going to tell you to froget what I said when you talk to your dealer..

Many transmissions cannot handly abrupt changes, Chrysler included. I have been through several Chrysler transmissions before this got figured out so I know first hand.

If you are pulling out in the morning say, and you put the vehicle in R, and then you pull out and are rolling into the street now, and then you put the car in P and pull forward and off you go. The problem is you are not pausing and not letting the vehicle come to a complete rest when you are doing this. A lot of people do this too quickly, because they are in a hurry or just out of habit or whatever. This hurts the transmission. If the gears are still spinning R from rolling and you try to engage D which will be idling the other way or else above idle if the engine is still revving down, then you will be smacking those gears each time. The synchros cannot synch up this quickly.

Don't do this anymore!!! Your transmissions will thank you for it!

100% right I have caught myself doing this many times each and every morning ....
Old 11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I had the shudder in reverse also. The first time I took it to the dealer they couldn't replicate the problem of course. Recently I brought it back for that same reason and some other issues also. I never got a copy of the work order because the file is still open (awaiting some back ordered parts) so I don't know exactly what was done. From what I was told, the transmission mounts were changed, there was some play in the shifter between gears (not sure what they did to fix that) and they replaced the transmission oil pump. Like I said I'm not 100% sure what they did but I haven't experienced the shudder ever since.

Quick Reply: Having my transmission replaced!