Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Having my transmission replaced!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having my transmission replaced!

Hello, all. It's been a while since I've written here but I've enjoyed reading other's posts. Well, I had that shaking/shuttering problem that people have reported when putting my auto Jeep in reverse. Not only on hills, but any time I had been driving and then put it in reverse. I never seemed to have the problem when I had been parked and put it in reverse. So, I told my dealership, they checked it out, but they couldn't replicate the problem. OK, so it didn't do it every time, so I dealt with it. Last Thursday night we put the car into drive, and pulled forward, no problem. Then tried to put the car in reverse, and it sounded like we were in neutral and revving the engine. The Jeep rolled back slightly, but I'm convinced it was from the weight of it. I tried several times to put it in drive/park, then in reverse, turned off the car, reverse, still no dice. I brought it into the dealership and now they are replacing the transmission (which is on back-order). I guess I just wanted to share my plight and see if anyone else has had this same issue. The dealership said this is the first time they've seen it, but I don't see many Unlimited's around here. Any advice or similar stories?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine had a variety of issues, including the occasional shudder at low speeds, the TC slipping, and a couple of times I couldn't get the JK to back up and out of a tight spot - the transmission would just slip. Most of the time it was well-behaved which was really frustrating because, of course, it worked flawless at the dealer. I finally convinced them to let the transmission tech go for a test drive for "as long as it takes". Took more than 15 miles before a shudder was felt. By the time I got back to the dealer the tech was sold that there really are issues with the damn thing. It was finally acting up at nearly every stop sign.

The dealer did a complete overhaul on the transmission including a new torque converter and clutches. Waaayy better now.

It should be noted that I have a 3" lift, 35" tires, 5.13 gears, and sometimes tow a 3500# trailer. The transmission tech said if it wasn't for the fact that I re-geared, they probably would have denied the warranty. The re-gearing more than negated the big tires and should have made towing that much easier on the transmission.

So for all of you "if I mod the Jeep will it void my warranty" doubters out there, I got warranty coverage BECAUSE I mod'ed the Jeep!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going to tell you what caused that and then I'm going to tell you to froget what I said when you talk to your dealer..

Many transmissions cannot handly abrupt changes, Chrysler included. I have been through several Chrysler transmissions before this got figured out so I know first hand.

If you are pulling out in the morning say, and you put the vehicle in R, and then you pull out and are rolling into the street now, and then you put the car in P and pull forward and off you go. The problem is you are not pausing and not letting the vehicle come to a complete rest when you are doing this. A lot of people do this too quickly, because they are in a hurry or just out of habit or whatever. This hurts the transmission. If the gears are still spinning R from rolling and you try to engage D which will be idling the other way or else above idle if the engine is still revving down, then you will be smacking those gears each time. The synchros cannot synch up this quickly.

Don't do this anymore!!! Your transmissions will thank you for it!

Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is why I posted in another thread that you'll destroy a tranny by shifting into reverse or park if you're driving down the street. Also, this is why you must use the brake pedal in order to shift the trans, but another poster removed that mechanism so he no longer must use the brake pedal.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Super Freak

wouldn't rolling in reverse and then shifting to drive damage the first gear planetary and sun gears.

So i don't think this is his problem.

I think he just got a bad trans.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spartan99
This is why I posted in another thread that you'll destroy a tranny by shifting into reverse or park if you're driving down the street.

Not true anymore. In an old mechanically linked transmission, yes. In our modern, elecronically controlled transmissions, no. If you shift into reverse while moving forward, the computer senses that your forward speed is too high, and will not engage reverse gear until your forward speed drops to near 0.

How do I know this? Well, I was driving along the highway while my wife was...uh...ummm...ahem...resting her head "affectionately" in my lap....and she leaned on the shifter and knocked it into reverse. At 70 mph. Nothing happened. It just felt like it was in Neutral. So I shifted it back into Drive, and we both went on about our business. Both me and my transmission were very happy.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by undertow119
Not true anymore. In an old mechanically linked transmission, yes. In our modern, elecronically controlled transmissions, no. If you shift into reverse while moving forward, the computer senses that your forward speed is too high, and will not engage reverse gear until your forward speed drops to near 0.

How do I know this? Well, I was driving along the highway while my wife was...uh...ummm...ahem...resting her head "affectionately" in my lap....and she leaned on the shifter and knocked it into reverse. At 70 mph. Nothing happened. It just felt like it was in Neutral. So I shifted it back into Drive, and we both went on about our business. Both me and my transmission were very happy.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

See, I thought that it was the not coming to a full stop thing, but my husband was fighting me on that. I started doing it and the shudder was still happening. I mean a ridiculous stop. Way too long to be normal. Maybe the damage was done already?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

Oh, and I use my brake pedal.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default Transmission on reverse

I am having this problem. With under 1000 miles on the jeep, when i shift on reverse when on hill it rattles and shakes.
I am going to the dealer soon.
First i need to put on the 16" original tires so they won't void the warranty because of the 18" i have on now.
Will let you know how thing go in the dealer.

Quick Reply: Having my transmission replaced!