Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Harken Hoister and the 'Kwik Kit' hardtop hardware

Old 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstock
I first bought a Harken but due to issues with the construction of my garage ceiling, I could not use it.

So I bought this one instead: hxxp://www.hoistlifts.com/jeep.htm

It took all of five minutes to install and works great. Couldn't be simpler.
looks like a great value!!
Old 09-01-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

My garage ceiling is only 9 feet. When I lift my jeep top, I pull it up to almost the position of the blocks (pulleys). It's about 4 inches from the ceiling. When entering the garage from the house, you either make an immediate jog around the top or just walk through it since my Jeep backs up about 4 feet to the house entrance when I lift the top, then park closer to the garage door for a little more space. I can pull forward under the top with no clearance issues.

A storm caught me by surprise one morning. My jeep was parked forward unter the top. It rained all day and I had to wait for the rain to clear to turn the jeep around. A little water may not hurt, but the jeep was 1 month fresh from the factory at the time. (I bought it while it was in the rail yard 800 miles away)

With the top lift I have no issues with pulling the top off for as little as 4 hours of enjoyment and putting it back on.

Jason
Old 09-01-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

What is the minimum ceiling height needed to put up one of those hoists? I don't have a talk ceiling.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FriscoSteve
I'm a happy camper.

Last week I installed my Harken Hoister. I heard it takes about 2 hours to install so I called my buddy over during his lunch hour to help me install it. Well....5+ hours later it's up! Not a simple task, much adjusting but once it's up, it's awesome. Now I have to master backing in the JK just perfect each time to align it all just right.

I also wanted the 'Kwik Kit' hardtop hardware that replaces all 8 of the Torx bolts that hold on the JK's top when I need the top on. For $59.99 I was a little hesitant. It was a breeze to install (5-10 mins) and now no more do I have to install the 8 Torq or the 2 obnoxious screw things on the freedom panels. These four quick release clamps hold it all together.

I took it out out on a 3 hour drive after the install. No vibration, no leaks and no wind noise. All seemed very secure.

I'm a fan of the Harken Hoister and the Kwik Kit hardtop hardware!
I installed mine last weekend. What I thought would be a two hour job turned into an all day event as those directions were disastrous. All in all, the finished product is great.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tom009
What is the minimum ceiling height needed to put up one of those hoists? I don't have a talk ceiling.
Well really as long as you can install the lift about 6 or 8" higher then your jeep it would work.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:17 AM
JK Super Freak

On my 08, I had 2.5" lift and 33's. With a 9' ceiling, the top cleared the Jeep comfortably by a few inches, but I don't know if it would have on an 8' ceiling. Now keep in mind I park mine backed in always because garage layout dictates it, if you park nose in, then a lower ceiling will work, because the hood area which is way shorter will be under the top.

Quick Reply: Harken Hoister and the 'Kwik Kit' hardtop hardware