Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Harken Hoister and the 'Kwik Kit' hardtop hardware

Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Banx nailed it and I love my Harken assembly

As for backing in. Try using the extra black lines to hang down as goal postes to back your rig thorugh
Old 05-12-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

LOL, great idea. There sure was enough line left over and my ceiling is 16'!

To others asking on is it worth it for an afternoon the answer is YES.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first bought a Harken but due to issues with the construction of my garage ceiling, I could not use it.

So I bought this one instead: hxxp://www.hoistlifts.com/jeep.htm

It took all of five minutes to install and works great. Couldn't be simpler.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got my Harken Hoister installed yesterday and it works great. My ceiling joists run the opposite of what are in the instructions so I just installed my boards the opposite of what they wanted. I had to add an additional 2 foot long 2" x 6" so I had a place for the rope organizer. It took a while to get those boards put up by myself, just a lot of measuring and checking for studs.

So far it worked great and loved driving around topless. Its a little scary looking at my top hanging from the ceiling. It looks solid and in opinion more secure than other systems because the top is being raised in 4 separate places as opposed to a single rope raising it making it less stable.

I can always get photos if anyone is curious to see what it looks like installed.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just installed mine yesterday night. Its great. I sail so when i saw harken made a hard top lift i knew it would be top notch. I was not disappointed. I mounted mine in the middle of my garage so i ran the line to the side wall. My Dad came over to help and we had it installed in about 2 hours

(it can go higher)

I do trust it as a Model A and a Corvette are going to be living under it
Old 05-25-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

That looks like my setup! (Minus the Model A).

You might want to try the billet kwik connect like I referenced originally, as when you take your top off/on now it will be much easier then dealing with those eight screws.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bowerss2
I just installed mine yesterday night. Its great. I sail so when i saw harken made a hard top lift i knew it would be top notch. I was not disappointed. I mounted mine in the middle of my garage so i ran the line to the side wall. My Dad came over to help and we had it installed in about 2 hours
Looks really good, I like how you ran it to the side...I may look at doing that for mine. Right now mine hoists at an angle which I am not too wild about.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Harken Hoister Question

Can someone with a Harken Hoister please tell me what the distance between the ceiling and the bottom of the hard top is when it is fully raised? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Racor Lift Installed

I finished installing a Racor Lift today for use as a hard top hoist. Generally, it seems to work pretty well although my Jeep is on order due in within the next few weClick image for larger version

Name:	RacorLift.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	307847eks so I can't really test it out. The manually hoisting works ok and as mentioned you can use a drill to automate the process (provided you have a 1/2" chuck). The install went fine with no major glitches although as others have indicated the spacing between lift arms seems to be ideally more like 49", not 48". Luckily, that's how my ceiling joists were spaced. The system does allow for some variation.

Anyway, the top of the rack should be perfect for freedom panels. I'll probably end up shortening the wire clamps up so the platform can lift up closer to the ceiling. As others have done, I'll probably secure the top with ratchet straps until I come up with something better.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

I have the Harken and I absolutely love it. Makes taking the hardtop off a breeze.

Quick Reply: Harken Hoister and the 'Kwik Kit' hardtop hardware