Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hardtops no longer available for 2007-2010 JKs?

Old 12-20-2009, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default See above - I did and there are none on Craig's list

anywhere near me. I am not insane to buy one from the Jeep dealer as they have none and none are available to Chrysler anywhere.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by geoffcwilson
The hardtop supplier is not Bestop, it is a company called CSP. The hardtop was resourced from Meridian in the summer and the new supplier has been having a very difficult time keeping up. The top is made from a material called SMC which is hard to process. They are getting better and there should not be any more supply problems goin forward.
What us "SMC"? I actually thought the tops were fiberglass? Guess not.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
What us "SMC"? I actually thought the tops were fiberglass? Guess not.
SMC is sheet molded composite - it comes in a big sheet on a roll. The material is cut into a charge pattern and placed in a mold, which closes and liquifies the material, allowing it to flow inside the mold to the proper desired shape - in this case, a hard top.
The Dodge Journey liftgate is made from SMC too.
Advantage - 30% weight savings and ability to mold into difficult shapes. Disadvantage - very hard to process, lots of sanding and filling required.

Quick Reply: Hardtops no longer available for 2007-2010 JKs?