Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hardtop water leak

Old 12-31-2007, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lashawnrubi
well my jeep is at the dealership now for about the 4th time tryin to fix the leak and so right now they have me driving a PT Cruiser
Damn, that's just cruel!!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmerc
I got mine fixed by repositioning the little flap at the front.....I had got it pinched, and it was hanging down, rather than sideways.

Also, you should try vaseline on the seals in that area. Make it thick enough to seal, but not enough to be messy. I haven't had to do it, but it seals rubber very well.
Good tip on that little flap. Mine was flipped over too from the factory. It needs to lay flat.

Also may I suggest a product called "Sil-Glyde" Instead of vaseline.

Its in a tube and is a lubricating , waterproofing, compound with silicone in it. It looks like a caramel colored grease, but if you put a thin light coating on your rubber seals it protects them and disperses water. So the water runs off the seals and doesn't just hang around them.

Its made by AGS Company, and I found some at NAPA auto parts.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SamC, here you go..

The total length of the seal matches up with the passenger seal, not the whole length of the top.

This is where the greater width of the seal helped. You can see where the factory seal has formed the foam I used. The ridge of foam where the tip of my finger is pointing is where I believed the rush of water from braking was coming over the factory seal due to the backpressure of water that couldn't make it over to the windshield, or exit down the windshield header channel . This ridge has blocked this extra flow of water from coming in, and helped push the water over the windshield, without entering the cabin.

Same concept on the back.

Lastly, here is the bottom of the seal where it wasn't glued down originally. The channel I was talking about is 2nd one in from the center side. This area was saturated with water when I would check after a leak. So, I glued it down all along the seal from end to end.

Mileage may vary on this fix. It worked for me, but I was only having the drip when braking, or parked with the front facing downhill. I rarely had a leak during rain on flat ground and not driving, but when i did it was probably from me playing with various lengths and widths of seals. Good Luck..
Old 12-31-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

excellent; thank you!

Quick Reply: Hardtop water leak