Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hardtop water leak

Old 12-30-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gee wizz, I can't wait till I purchase my leak.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scootrrydr
Gee wizz, I can't wait till I purchase my leak.
It's all luck of the draw like Brinks said about the seals. I had an 07 2 door, that didn't have a leak. Now, I have an 08 unlimited that has the famous leak while braking. I think I finally fixed mine by adding a 1.25 weatherstrip along the center of the drivers side panel. Hasn't leaked in the last 2 weeks here with sporadic NW rain.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbkoz
It's all luck of the draw like Brinks said about the seals. I had an 07 2 door, that didn't have a leak. Now, I have an 08 unlimited that has the famous leak while braking. I think I finally fixed mine by adding a 1.25 weatherstrip along the center of the drivers side panel. Hasn't leaked in the last 2 weeks here with sporadic NW rain.
picture please? or more detail?
Old 12-30-2007, 12:51 PM
JK Newbie

well my jeep is at the dealership now for about the 4th time tryin to fix the leak and so right now they have me driving a PT Cruiser
Old 12-30-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Smile

finally got mine fixed after 3 visits to the dealer
Old 12-30-2007, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default None yet

I've got an 08 with the hard top and I've run in the rain and have gone though a couple washes (where you stay in the vehicle) and I have not had a leak yet. I have not taken my tops off. From what i've read and heard it seams to come down to making sure the tops are put on correctly and not over tightened.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by samc
picture please? or more detail?
I'll snap some pictures tomorrow when I put my seat heaters on. I just used the 1.25" x 3/16" foam tape from napa. The part # is 770-1763. I put 1 strip on the driver side panel exactly the length of the matching seal from the passenger panel where they meet in the center.

In my case it seemed as the drip was coming from an overflow of water running along the center seam when braking. I first tried to glue the bottom of the seal on the passenger panel, as it is just sitting in the track on the panel on the bottom. Mine was only glued at the ends. I took my panels off after different leak times, and there was a lot of water under the seal, in the crevice where it rested. This didn't fix it. So, then I've tried various length's, width's, and positions of foam tape. The last I've tried that seems to be working is the 1.25", and running only the length of the matching seal on the passenger side, not the lenght of the entire panel. I've tried both lengths. It looks as the drip was coming over the seal in the front, where the seal contacts the driver side panel at the ridge (where the panel angles down toward the interior.

Sorry, I know this is confusing without pics, so I will post some as soon as I can.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tin
The new seals? Thought the 08 came with the new improved seals
?
Mine was built in August of 07 and the new seals they put on looked a little different than the old ones. Maybe they got put on right this time.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

mine goes in Wednesday for the 2nd time to fix the leak. The first go round, they replaced the header seal as well as the seals around the two panels. I originally had the leak everyone is describing. Drips on the dash/radio and in the middle above the cup holders.

Now I have a leak, well I call it a waterfall, coming from the driver's side knob fastener and a small drip over the radio.

So, as far as I can tell, all the seals were replaced the first time. No clue what the plan will be this time.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperSaiks
Has anyone gotten their hardtop water leak actually successfully repaired at the dealership. Mine is dripping right in the middle of the dash above the radio.

I have heard of many owners jeeps leaking and taking it to the dealers to get it fixed only to leak again and or even worse.

Let me know thanks
I got mine fixed by repositioning the little flap at the front.....I had got it pinched, and it was hanging down, rather than sideways.

Also, you should try vaseline on the seals in that area. Make it thick enough to seal, but not enough to be messy. I haven't had to do it, but it seals rubber very well.

Quick Reply: Hardtop water leak