Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hardtop water leak

Old 12-29-2007, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop water leak

Has anyone gotten their hardtop water leak actually successfully repaired at the dealership. Mine is dripping right in the middle of the dash above the radio.

I have heard of many owners jeeps leaking and taking it to the dealers to get it fixed only to leak again and or even worse.

Let me know thanks
Old 12-29-2007, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been taking mine in constantly since last February and still no luck. They just keep patching and i am seriously tired of it. I have one new front panel and the next time i take it in there they are supposed to replace the otherside. My leak is in the same spot as well. The engineers that designed this top must have been testing it in the desert where it never is going to get wet. Pathetic.

Good luck with your dealer. I think we are just going to have to live with a little leak and hope for a dry spring....
Old 12-29-2007, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

I keep reading about these leaks with the hardtop......My JK didn't come with one and I was considering purchasing one. My softop has never leaked. Since June anyway.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scootrrydr
I keep reading about these leaks with the hardtop......My JK didn't come with one and I was considering purchasing one. My softop has never leaked. Since June anyway.
Are you planning on purchasing the Leak or the Hardtop? Well, I think right now if you purchase the Hardtop you get the leak for free...
Old 12-29-2007, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bbkoz
Are you planning on purchasing the Leak or the Hardtop? Well, I think right now if you purchase the Hardtop you get the leak for free...
You said it right! Get the no leak option when you buy your Jeep.

Actually I took my 4 door hardtop in the 2nd day because of the center dash drip.

After 2 tries and 2 days they correctly replaced the windshield header seal, and siliconed the pillar caps.

Cross my fingers, but it hasn't leaked since. I wash the jeep myself, no leak.

I also put a light coating of Syl-Glide lubricant on the seals to waterproof them. Bought it at Napa.

I still have wind noise, but not as much as before the "fix". Also whenever I remove then replace the front panels I get different wind sounds. Odd Duck.

I've driven in light rain, no leak.

Still crossing my fingers.

So make sure they replace the WINDSHIELD HEADER SEAL. And it has to be installed with less than 1mm gap between the seal and the top of the windshield frame. Other wise you get wind whistling and the panels won't seat right.

Last edited by BrinksJeep; 12-29-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:40 PM
JK Newbie

Default hard top leak

i picked mine up from dealer friday today saturday i took it to the car wash . no leaks so far !!!! now i also had wind noise upper left post. service mgr told me when they took the seals off there was a void behind it they filled the void and replaced the seals. why the void well i have no clue as did the service mgr so im going to call jeep monday and ask what the crap is up with that . i will post monday what info i get.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hemiman
i picked mine up from dealer friday today saturday i took it to the car wash . no leaks so far !!!! now i also had wind noise upper left post. service mgr told me when they took the seals off there was a void behind it they filled the void and replaced the seals. why the void well i have no clue as did the service mgr so im going to call jeep monday and ask what the crap is up with that . i will post monday what info i get.
If you take it to a full service carwash, they will wipe up the drips and you might not even know you have em.
Just like they do when you buy your JK and they wash it and you drive it off the lot. They wipe up any drips so you can't see em.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Default Got new seals

Originally Posted by SuperSaiks
Has anyone gotten their hardtop water leak actually successfully repaired at the dealership. Mine is dripping right in the middle of the dash above the radio.

I have heard of many owners jeeps leaking and taking it to the dealers to get it fixed only to leak again and or even worse.

Let me know thanks
Just got the new seals on today at the dealer. Will post findings when I wash it.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:13 PM
tin
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Woody611
Just got the new seals on today at the dealer. Will post findings when I wash it.
The new seals? Thought the 08 came with the new improved seals
?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tin
The new seals? Thought the 08 came with the new improved seals
?
The windshield header seal is a main culprit along with the panel seals.

The thing is they have to be installed properly at the factory. THATS where the problem starts.

When I was getting my Windsheild header seal replaced i looked at other new JKs on the lot. Alot of them were NOT installed properly, problems waiting to happen. The gap between the windshield header seal and the windsheild frame should be 1mm or less.

That seal ,when installed properly , allows the panels to seat the way they were intended to. Along with other factors on the panels themselves.

Quick Reply: Hardtop water leak