Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hardtop rear bolt retainers

Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop rear bolt retainers

It sure if this has been discussed before, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove those slide in screw holders (I have no idea what they are called) that the hardtop bolts into in the cargo area. I need to remove them because it is where the Velcro straps that hold down the soft top go through. I'll try to take a picture to show y'all what I mean. I have tried pushing them straight down, and prying then with a screwdriver. I'm worried I will break them before I actually remove them.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and know how to remove them?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres a slot in the back of that channel. Do you maybe have to slide them all to the back?? Never done this myself, hardtop owner only
Old 06-13-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A2thaK
It sure if this has been discussed before, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove those slide in screw holders (I have no idea what they are called) that the hardtop bolts into in the cargo area. I need to remove them because it is where the Velcro straps that hold down the soft top go through. I'll try to take a picture to show y'all what I mean. I have tried pushing them straight down, and prying then with a screwdriver. I'm worried I will break them before I actually remove them.

Anyone know what I'm talking about and know how to remove them?
Just slide them back or forward enough so you can slide the Velcro straps through.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

I have always left them in while running my soft top. I'm confused as to why and how your soft top has velcro...mine does not. Unless you're talking about the cover the goes over the folded down soft top? If so I don't have a cover so I wouldn't know.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

This is what I'm talking about. You wrap the Velcro straps through the slot on over the soft top arms to keep it in place better. Somehow I just popped them out last year but can't figure it out this year.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2710935086.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	329027  
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

They slide aft and then they are free to be pulled out ( down). And for the reinstalling of them, find the cut out and push up and then forward.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:04 AM
JK Newbie

I have an '11 that ran into the same problem. The DVD shows using the straps when the soft top is down. I asked everyone at the dealer how to do this and no one could show or tell me. I have found that as long as I am careful and put the top down so that everything is folded correctly that it doesn't need anything to hold it down. I also thought about popping out the hard top brackets but found it is much easier to just leave them in and put the soft top down so it folds neatly. I have never had any issues sound this.

Quick Reply: Hardtop rear bolt retainers