Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hardtop question

Old 12-01-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop Question

Originally Posted by BLACKJacK
Define leak? You will have water in your Wrangler at some point in time. It just depends on the amount and frequency that may have you searching for a fix. The fact that you can pull Wrangler apart in many different ways, I am not surprised that there is a higher potential for leaks. I expect that it would happen sooner or later either from a failing seal or the owners failure to put it back together properly.

Recently I have had a leak that I do not consider "A Jeep thing". I was at the dealership on Friday about a front door leak on both sides in which they replaced the door seals. After spending some time talking to the mechanic and service rep, found that they have seen a number of different issues ranging from deformed panels, seals and owner error. I did get from the conversation that most issues have been with the front top or door seals but it's not all hard top owners, just a chosen few.
Since I started this up again, I never take the top off or apart. After my first major leak, I removed the front panels, cleaned and sealed all the upper gaskets
and re installed the top properly. Laying the panels straight down clamping them fro front to rear and not overly tightening the knobs. Unfortunately, my
driveway is on an incline and I park head-in so the front of the Jeep is a little higher. After the last rain storm, which dropped about 2 inches of rain, the interior was dry. Not until I pulled out, drove a bit and then used the brakes did the water come pouring in at the front loop over the mirror and down onto
the dash and radio and my right leg. These trucks have been out since 07. Certainly by now this problem should have been overcome. It should not be
classified as a "Jeep Thing"
Old 12-01-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saharaharry
Since I started this up again, I never take the top off or apart. After my first major leak, I removed the front panels, cleaned and sealed all the upper gaskets and re installed the top properly. Laying the panels straight down clamping them fro front to rear and not overly tightening the knobs. Unfortunately, my driveway is on an incline and I park head-in so the front of the Jeep is a little higher. After the last rain storm, which dropped about 2 inches of rain, the interior was dry. Not until I pulled out, drove a bit and then used the brakes did the water come pouring in at the front loop over the mirror and down onto the dash and radio and my right leg. These trucks have been out since 07. Certainly by now this problem should have been overcome. It should not be classified as a "Jeep Thing"
Yes, you and I are part of the club and I agree with you that it's not "a Jeep thing". I did say that in my statement. It sounds like you are real discouraged and that's too bad, although I do understand. Problems like this can be real irritating.

My service rep did mention they have replaced some deformed panels, perhaps this could be your issue?? or maybe not. The mechanic could not reproduce my problem even though it happens every time it rains. I had to do the research to find out how the water was flowing in before the mechanic really understood my problem. I won't know if the door seals will be the final resolution, until it rains. I do however feel good about the people that are working with me on the problem to get the problem resolved.

Good luck with yours!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof question

Originally Posted by BLACKJacK
Yes, you and I are part of the club and I agree with you that it's not "a Jeep thing". I did say that in my statement. It sounds like you are real discouraged and that's too bad, although I do understand. Problems like this can be real irritating.

My service rep did mention they have replaced some deformed panels, perhaps this could be your issue?? or maybe not. The mechanic could not reproduce my problem even though it happens every time it rains. I had to do the research to find out how the water was flowing in before the mechanic really understood my problem. I won't know if the door seals will be the final resolution, until it rains. I do however feel good about the people that are working with me on the problem to get the problem resolved.

Good luck with yours!
My other problem is I work in a Dealership. (Not Jeep) and I hate the thought of spending my time off at another dealership
dealing with the service MORONS!

Quick Reply: Hardtop question