Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

hardtop question.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hardtop question.

Hey guys I'm fairly close to buying a hardtop for my jk. It originally came with a soft top so I don't know how much hardware Im missing for the hardtop. Could you guys give me a run down on what I need to get before I get the top?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:23 AM
JK Super Freak

My 2009 4 door hardtop only has 8 of the 45mm(?) Torx bolts. 2 bolts into the top of the B pillar, between the front and rear doors, and then the other 6 (three each side) on the inside of the rear section below the side windows. These 6 will bolt the top into the rear top part of the fender/quarter panel. Also, there are 2 large screws that are tightened by hands (they are that big) and they hold down the two front freedom top sections. These will actually thread up thru the sound bar in the large circular holes on the left and right of the dome light. The rest of the locking mechanisms should be attached to the panels.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GCM 2
My 2009 4 door hardtop only has 8 of the 45mm(?) Torx bolts. 2 bolts into the top of the B pillar, between the front and rear doors, and then the other 6 (three each side) on the inside of the rear section below the side windows. These 6 will bolt the top into the rear top part of the fender/quarter panel. Also, there are 2 large screws that are tightened by hands (they are that big) and they hold down the two front freedom top sections. These will actually thread up thru the sound bar in the large circular holes on the left and right of the dome light. The rest of the locking mechanisms should be attached to the panels.
...what he said. You need a # 30 torx ratchet. Very easy to install,. Just make sure you have at least one other , maybe two other people to install.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

Yea I'm pretty sure the top comes with the bolts, but do I need to get header? I work two jobs in the automotive field so I have the tools for the job. What do you think a fair price is on a used mopar freedom top is? I'm thinking 1000 - 1200.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Which JK do you have 2 or 4 door? I have seen hardtops for 4 doors posted on here for less than $1000. Some with scratches and/or light damage (not sure about that) for as low as $500. Start looking in the for sale section on the forum here and maybe craigslist.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Keep your eye on CL. I got my 4door top for 500 in near mint! Also, don't forget the retainer clips that hold the nuts for the top to secure to the tub. I had to buy those too. I went with the quick release thumb screws instead of the normal torx.
Be prepared for the fun task of aftermarket or Mopar wiring harnesses. I have still left this on my to-do list!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-45745125.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	261665   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1263641176.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	261666  

Last edited by Orangeav; 01-09-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2 door. I found the top on Craigslist, trust me I've been looking for hardtops on the forum but the only ones I've been seeing are for 4 doors or 2 door unlimiteds. Guess the regualr 2 door tops are hard to come by. I tried asking the guy if he would trade the top for 5 kmc xd series rims with bfg mud terrains, no go on that. Anyone know of anyone that's willing to do a trade?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmm290
Hey guys I'm fairly close to buying a hardtop for my jk. It originally came with a soft top so I don't know how much hardware Im missing for the hardtop. Could you guys give me a run down on what I need to get before I get the top?
I thought the dealer ordered my 12 JKR with a hardtop but it came with a soft top. The dealer removed a hardtop from another new Jeep and it is now at the dealer today to get the wiring harness installed so the rear defroster and wiper will work. The right stalk that operates the rear wiper also needs to be replaced because you need the rotating switch to operate the wiper. It comes with the wiring harness, and the dealer tells me it is easy to change. If it didn't come from the factory with a hardtop you don't have the wiring or the proper stalk.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM
JK Newbie

I know I have to get all the stuff to get the rear wiper and defrost too work but im not too concerned about that. I just want to make sure i have everything i need to bolt it on and drive home with the new top. I have too drive to get the top so when i get there im going to do a switch-a-roo. The retaining clips for the 3 bolts on the sides go under the lip of the body correct?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmm290
The retaining clips for the 3 bolts on the sides go under the lip of the body correct?
correct! you can kinda see it in the first picture I attached. You can kinda see the black clips right under the hard top on the body.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-45745125.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	262194

Quick Reply: hardtop question.