Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard Top Removal...first time

Old 08-15-2009, 07:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like those mirrors! I thought about having my wife help me, but my neighbor was passing by and I asked him - we struggled a bit. In fact when he helped me put it back on again, he cracked the rear tail-light - sux only 3 weeks old. but no major damage - just a little Gorilla Glue and back in business. We both took a side and lifted up and back - but it seems like others have some interesting ideas I might try.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Mirror is from Autozone, Euro mirror. Stupid name, but works. Vibrates a little, but like I said it works.

It's freak'n hot, Jeep temp said 95. Yep, running AC with the tops and doors off!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by db99wj
Mirror is from Autozone, Euro mirror. Stupid name, but works. Vibrates a little, but like I said it works.

It's freak'n hot, Jeep temp said 95. Yep, running AC with the tops and doors off!
x2, I live in Collierville and its very hot. I got a trektop so I go back (top off) and forth (top up) pretty quickly. Can't wait for fall.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by db99wj
Going to be more of challenge getting it back on, but I will figure it out, might get one of my Nbors to help.
I will usually look out for the first neighbor I see and grab them to help me when I need to put on/remove the hard top.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Got in last night, getting dark, grabbed my N'bor, he's a big guy, looks like a center, and we picked it up, and put it on, took longer to go next door and get him then it did to put it back on. Reinstalled the 8 bolts..done. Then put the doors back on. That took longer than putting the hard top back on.

Things I've learned:

The top is not that heavy, but grabbing it is like a monkey trying to F*% a football
Wife needs more upper body strength.
When driving, you get a lot of and
When it is in the mid 90's with high humidity you feel like this
I"m willing to admit that I used the AC during the day! Heat from above, heat from below
You find many many reasons to go out and run errands that normally you would hate to do. (Run to grocery store to get milk (after you drank it all so that you could go out)
2nd Grade boys love riding around in it (My son had a bday sleep over)
Wife will not ride in it going to Church.
Chicks dig it....
Definitely will be doing a lift or the platform for quicker install/removal
Praying for 80-85 weather
My engine "woke up" due to the lack of weight from the doors and top! It went back to sleep when I reinstalled...
And that is ton's of fun riding around Wish I would have done it sooner.

If you have not done this, DO IT!!!!! I had forgotten how much fun it was when I had my YJ.

Last edited by db09JKU; 08-17-2009 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Hard Top Removal...first time