Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard Top Removal...first time

Old 08-13-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's easier then the soft top..... my wife gets the front I grap the back and swing it out towards drivers side.I lift it up she guides it and rests it on the roll bar,so I am now on a angle to the jeep holding it up,she hops out of the jeep comes around and picks up the front end we walk it.around and set it down her side first then I push down on my side and ease it down.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/

Last edited by Hitch Buddy; 08-17-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have strong shoulders and a good neck, you can do it yourself without a hoist. I do mine that way when no ones around to lend a hand. But let me tell you, you need STRONG shoulders and neck for this and if you screw up once, you don't have a three piece top anymore. Lots of little pieces i would imagine. I think the top weighs 75 pounds and the center of gravity on a 2 door is about 10-12 inches from the back. My wife (120 lbs) helps me with a set of gloves to protect her hands. She wont do it with out gloves. The hardest part is finding the center of gravity and its super easy from there. Leave the tailgate closed, one person on each side, lift the front enough to remove from the alignment pins and then straight up and straight back off the rear.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:35 AM
JK Jedi

Sounds like your procedure is spot on, though just a warning, I had my wife help me put the top back on end of last summer, she almost lost it. I now have a couple minor scuffs on the rear corner from that incident, but at least the top lived to play another day. Oh, and I have the two door, she would never be able to handle the four-door top.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by toad
The 2-drs. are actually heavier.

How is that possible?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Well the technique I described above didn't work out as well as I had hoped. Part of the team lacked the upper body strength to lift it. She couldn't "grab" it. So, I jumped in, used my back, lifted it up, walked it forward to where I was standing on the bumper, then I got out and we were able to grab it and bring it on down. Scratched the flat part of the tub that the top rests on, so nothing noticeable. Then I took the doors off. My son is having friends over Sat for his Bday sleepover, and is so excited!

So, here it is!

Doors on

The rest.

Going to be more of challenge getting it back on, but I will figure it out, might get one of my Nbors to help.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everybody needs to go topless as often as they can!
Old 08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mkjeep

Everybody needs to go topless as often as they can!
Looks good and I agree
Old 08-14-2009, 07:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I drank all the milk, just so I could go to the grocery store
Old 08-14-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by db99wj
I drank all the milk, just so I could go to the grocery store
Know the feelin man! On a side note, I went to a high pressure car was today to spray the jeep off, doors were on , no top. I put 6quarters in and set it to hp soap. It came on and the hose was busted up top, right over the jeep. Needless to say, both the jk and I got a bubble bath. No quarters left to rinse good in another stall, so me and the jk headed down the road with soap bubbles blowing out. That's what I get for tryin to wash it. Highjack over.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Know the feelin man! On a side note, I went to a high pressure car was today to spray the jeep off, doors were on , no top. I put 6quarters in and set it to hp soap. It came on and the hose was busted up top, right over the jeep. Needless to say, both the jk and I got a bubble bath. No quarters left to rinse good in another stall, so me and the jk headed down the road with soap bubbles blowing out. That's what I get for tryin to wash it. Highjack over.
Good highjack! That's funny right there!

Quick Reply: Hard Top Removal...first time