Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard Top Removal...first time

Old 08-13-2009, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Top Removal...first time

Nope, haven't done it yet, take the freedom panels off all the time, have had the doors off several times, it is past time to take the top completely off. Have had it a few months, been rainy, and then hot, no rain in sight this weekend. I prefer not to get it wet.

Anyway. A little nervous. I know, but not what you think. I don't have a problem going topless, down the interstate at 75mph, with the doors off, floor mats levitating in front of your eyes. I don't.

My issue is the removal of the top. I know all the bolts to remove, got the Torx #40 ready to go. I know I got to unplug the connector and the windshield wash hose.

My wife is going to be helping me, my 125lb wife. She works out so she has some strength. I plan on getting on the drivers side (side with wiper motor so heavier) with my hands on the inside of the passenger door part of the top and other hand around the back of the top by the tailight. My wife just like that on the other side, back glass up, tailgate closed, then lift and take off toward rear. I will put my side down, then help her put her side down.

Putting back on. Same sides, I will help her pick up her side and hold it up, then walk over to my side, and lift it up, reinstall.

I'm a little worried about her lifiting up off the Jeep tub.

Am I going about it the right way? Any issues you see?

I'm using this video as a reference except for my wife bending down and setting it down at the same time. I think it would be easier if she had help when bending down to lower the top.
h t t p://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGpPgfsQgIY

Come on guys, give me some encouragement, or suggestions! I want to make this as easy as possible so the wife will "want" to take it off...
Old 08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Sorry about putting this in the wrong spot, thanks for moving!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's ok
Old 08-13-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Sound like you got it all planned out. My wife (only 5'3") helps out putting on/off, if fact it's usually her calling the shots of when to put on/off. Just make sure you know where you're going to put it, before you start. We have a really small garage crammed with stuff, so the hardest part for us is navigating to the cleared out section of the garage.

Take your top off!
Old 08-13-2009, 02:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

I'll tell you the way my wife and I did it. I sat in the rear cargo area and kinda slid off holding the majority of the weight and spun to the driver side to catch the side and get out from underneath anshe was in the same position and spun to passenger side. Tailgate kinda gets in the way. If you have her stand on the other side of the tailgate when it's open, take your spare off so that there is no interference as she reaches over the tailgate to catch the side. All that said, I built a hoist afterwards.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I"ve been looking at hoist, they are expensive. Found one from Harken Holsters that is around $150. Only have a carport. I will do a hoist at some point, because without a softtop, I want to be able to do it by myself.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

I made one for about $30. 2 - 2x4's , 4 rachet straps, 6 heavy duty eyebolts
Old 08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Check out this thread
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/my-sub-%2420-hard-top-storage-solution-1035/
Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the first time, it get's a lot easier. I change my top configuration weekly, stupid Utah weather. I installed a hoist in the garage, now it only takes about 15-20 mins for me to swap the hardtop off/on. But I always always run with my NACK.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

The wife "helped" me take the hard top off. It's not so much the weight but the height that was the problem - I ended up with a nice scratch down the side of the Jeep. Nothing a little rubbing compound couldn't fix, but....

Quick Reply: Hard Top Removal...first time